Sunday, October 16, 2022

Taking Amtrak's Pacific Coast Starlight Train Overnight From Seattle to Burbank

 


After spending the night at The Mayflower Park Hotel in Seattle, I devoured a savory breakfast in their downstairs restaurant.  The front desk arranged for a cab for me to the train station.  We arrived early and I sat on an old wooden bench in the lobby.  I was excited to board the next train headed to Los Angeles: The Pacific Coast Starlight.


In order to qualify for the cheapest rate, I had reserved a roomette several months in advance, through an Amtrak agent.  It was still pricey, (over $700.00, versus a cheap economy flight at $59.00.)  Sitting in Business Class or Coach would have been far more reasonable.   I wanted to have a bed, though, and to experience seeing the California coast from the train.  The trip took two full days and one night.  

The meals were delicious.  I had the first lunch delivered to my room, and ate the others in the dining car.  I enjoyed chatting with the travelers at my table about their trip.  One man had moved from England to Thailand, and spent most of his retirement planning trips and on the road.  He had just found out that his train to San Diego was inoperable, and was booking a bus.  They were repairing the tracks further South, including the Meto North line.  


Our train arrived in Los Angeles thirty minutes ahead of time!  I got off at Burbank Airport station.  In the future, I would probably get out at Van Nuys Station, which has a waiting room with an attendant.  There is also a luggage cart that will pick you up if you need assistance.  It's well lit, and many customers park their cars there and take the Fly Away Bus to LAX.

All in all, it was a very smooth and pleasant trip.  The view of the sunset in Santa Barbara was spectacular-a highlight of the journey.  I found it a little difficult to sit for so long, but was able to lay down, since I had reserved a roomette with bunk beds.

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please reply in English.  Those with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.

8 comments:

  1. Since girlhood I dreamed of a long trip by train. I blame the old movies that made it seem more awesome than flying. All you can do on a plane is sit. Not so on a train where mysteries abound. People aren't tied to their seats, there's food and drink served by polite and ever so helpful staff. And the views have to be the best part of being able to leave the driving to Amtrak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being able to move around makes it so much more comfortable. That's one of the reasons why I love cruising, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted to take the train and go to San Diego or some place, but, haven't! Sounds like it was a lovely journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bless, I took the Surfliner from Union Station to San Diego. I walked to my hotel and spent the night there. The bus took me right to the theater to see Ben Vereen. It was a fabulous trip. Right now those tracks are being repaired, and the train is out of service.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw such a fabulous experience, Stephenie, you certainly are an adventurous girl!
    I've always fancied a long trip on a train too. Perhaps one day.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to take one, PP. Traveling by train is slow and scenic. I met a lot of nice people, too. Three out of the four of us at my lunch table were retired and living in Thailand! They flew 22 hours to travel through America. Amazing...

      Delete
  6. Having the Amtrak out of service is big news here in San Diego. It seems the tracks around San Clemente are in danger from the eroding cliffsides. I loved our train trip to Santa Barbara last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's what I heard, Anita. San Clemente and Oceanside are two of the most beautiful spots from the train window. I have always wanted to stop there. I remember your train trip to Santa Barbara. It's fun to have lunch on that one, you get a gorgeous view of the beach...

      Delete