Tuesday, October 25, 2022

A Flat Tire on the Los Angeles Freeway

 


Last week, on my way up to Wrightwood, I got a blow out on the freeway.  I had allowed plenty of time to get there, but didn't anticipate a nail puncturing my tire.  As the steering wheel started to wobble, I put on my right blinker, turned on my hazard lights, and slowly pulled over to the shoulder. 

I was thankful that I had charged my cell phone that morning.  Both dogs were in the backseat, so I knew Jacques would be protective of us.  (It just comes naturally to him.)  I phoned Auto Club, and they told me that they were shorthanded.   They estimated that it would take forty minutes while for a driver to arrive. They suggested I call 311.  

As I was on the phone, a large white truck pulled up behind me.  It was CalTrans.  A smiling driver approached my window.  Jacques began barking violently.  I calmed him down, and the man stepped in back of my vehicle, giving us psychological space.

Because I had a spare tire in the trunk, the driver was able to remove the wheel, pump some air into my spare tire, attach it, and we were back on our way.  There was no charge.  I felt incredibly lucky to have such a helpful service during rush hour in LA.  I thanked him profusely and left a glowing review when I arrived home.

Are you prepared if you were to get a flat tire on the freeway?  I was glad that I didn't make the trip at night.

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please reply in English.  Posts may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.


14 comments:

  1. I don't travel very far these days but still have cheap breakdown insurance in case of emergency. It can be very frightening especially at night to get a flat tyre or worse. Glad you got help pretty quickly... and had a guard dog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have that too, PP. We were very relieved. I was very happy to have that spare tire in the trunk.

      Delete
  2. My goodness! I'm glad you were able to pull over, safely, and CalTrans showed up to help! I didn't know they did that! What a good thing that you were so well prepared!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bless, Yes. They help people if they run out of gas, need a tire changed, and I think a few other things. I have seen the trucks before...it's a great service. They got there very quickly. He saw me from the other side of the freeway.

      Delete
  3. I'm so pleased that you were able to pull over safely. It would have scared me to death. Most modern cars here don't have a spare tyre. They give you a canister of gunk to squirt into the punctured tyre and it's an utter waste of time as it just doesn't work. Thankfully we have good breakdown coverage which we have used once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have that in my trunk, too, Cherie. I think ours is called "Fix a Flat." I also have Auto Club, and they have assisted me many times.

      Delete
  4. That is a very impressive response and I'm so glad it was sorted out quickly before things because too worrisome for you. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joy. We were very fortunate. It wasn't too busy on the freeway, and I was able to pull over very quickly.

      Delete
  5. You must have had a few very scary moments while pulling over. It is so dangerous to pull over on the freeways. My father told all us girls to just drive on the rim and get off the freeway. It was lucky the CalTrans truck was close by. The CHP is also supposed to stop and help as assisting motorists is their first priority (per their mission statement). Good news that all ended well for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was completely flat, Anita. I got off in a very short time. There weren't many drivers on the 14, but the traffic was flowing at over 70 mph. The CalTrans driver was an older man who was excellent.

      Delete
  6. That must have been so scary. I'm glad everything turned out okay in the end. X

    ReplyDelete
  7. All's well that ends well, Jules. That's what my dad used to say. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A blown tyre on the freeway sounds quite scary. How lucky to find help quickly. I wouldn't even know how to open the bonnet of our car, let alone change a tyre. I don't think we keep a spare one, just some special foam to temporarily fix one. Maybe I should find out! Glad you reached your destination after all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Christina. My spare tire was underneath the trunk. I was very appreciative of his help. He was an expert.

    ReplyDelete