Friday, February 24, 2023

A Blizzard in California

 


Last night it snowed for several hours.  It is continuing today.  I tried to shovel out my car, but I just got too wet with the continued snowfall.  I was able to sweep the steps, so that they were clear enough this morning to take out the dogs.  Now they are covered again.


We could receive up to five feet of snow in the mountains.  We shall see.  It's so important to have your groceries and pet food stockpiled.  Our delivery from the co-op was canceled, but fortunately I had picked up some extra produce at our local grocery store.  I also have some canned fruit in the cupboard that I store for emergencies.  I cooked a pot roast and some pasta in preparation.  The dogs are enthusiastically gnawing on their marrow beef bones from the broth that I simmered last week.

I am so glad that I purchased that alpaca hat and cape when I was in Alaska.  They keep me warm, safe, and dry.  Alpaca is so soft, and it dries by the fireplace very quickly.  I picked up a pair of gloves at the same shop, and they are divine.  They match the jacket.  The older I get, the more I love neutrals. 

Last week the weather was gorgeous down in LA.  I took a day to go bicycling on the beach.  It was sunny and clear.  It was so much fun to look at all the boats and enjoy the warm weather.

How is it where you are?  Are you shoveling snow like I am?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please reply in English.  I'm sorry, but those with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated. 



14 comments:

  1. It's been very mild for the time of year here. It's sure to snow before spring arrives though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting, Cherie. We have had an exceptionally cold winter in California. Thank goodness I'm a knitter. I bet you are wearing your wool socks these days. It is snowing here again, nonstop.

      Delete
  2. I thought of you, Stephenie, when I heard about the snow and blizzard warning. Stay safe and warm!
    It's cold and raining down here. It's been raining nonstop all night, last night, and all day, today! And I've been receiving constant flash flood watch alerts! It's windy, too, and I am keeping an eye on the eucalyptus tree!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Bless. I'm fortunate to have all the modern conveniences. I hope you don't experience any flooding. That's a lot of rain coming down at once...It sounds like it will continue until Sunday. Hope you are warm. Wearing layers sure helps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in California and no snow in my city. I told my adult kids to call me even at midnight if it snows because I will go outside and enjoy it. I miss snow and after 40 plus years here snow would be a rare treat. Your alpaca cape must be a real treat to wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is, Terra. Thank you. The alpaca pieces that I bought in Alaska have all become favorite items of winter clothing up here in the mountains. I hope you get to see some snow and experience that beauty. Everything looks so clean after a snowstorm.

      Delete
  5. Stay safe and warm during this storm friend Stephenie. What a wonderful state we have here in California-from snow and cold mountains to sunny and mild ocean in one freeway trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This weather is pretty amazing, Anita. Thank goodness we are knitters. The layers make all the difference.

      Delete
  6. No snow in this part of the UK although it feels a bit chilly. I'm glad you are OK. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joy, I'm sure it is damp and cold there. You always keep busy and active.

      Delete
  7. Hello there Stephanie, I'm over on your blog from the Home Makers Forum. News of the blizzards in California reached us here in Australia, so I was so interested to see your blog and learn how you had fared. Amazing pictures. Yes, it's good to have a small supply of excess food and a few things in the freezer. I think most of us had the importance of this reinforced during lockdowns. Strange weather we all have to deal with these days! With love from Jo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo! Thanks for checking on me. I have been so thankful for my stockpile during this storm. Still digging my way out today. The snow above my house is up to my chest. Hope all is well with you...

      Delete
  8. So interesting, the extremes of weather. We have had very little summer here, a lot of big storms, cyclone, and so much unbelievable damage. Am very grateful to have been unaffected. Already it's starting to feel like autumn. Sigh......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are fortunate to be unaffected, ratnamurti. I'm glad to hear that you are safe.

      Delete