Friday, February 17, 2023

Five of My Friends Have Covid

 Last week I heard from five different people I know, they all got Covid the same week.  It is really circulating again.  I decided to immediately schedule my second booster shot, and had it this morning.  I got mine for free at Vons.   I went at 9:00 a.m., when they opened.  They will  be charging for them in May.  I think it costs $130.00!

The woman who helped me was very nice.  I told her that I experienced intense reactions to the previous vaccines.  She advised me to drink lots of water, to flush it through, and said no alcohol for three days.  She also encouraged me to use my arm if it was sore.  The tiny needles they use now are much less painful than the first ones.  It makes such a difference!  The first experience was a bit traumatic, but this time it was easy and quick.

I came home and made a pan of chicken enchiladas, simmered a pot of beef bone broth, and tossed a large salad.  I like knowing that I have plenty of healthy meals in the fridge, in case I get sick again.  After the previous vaccine I felt poisoned.   This is the new one, the bivalent version.

My friends who contracted Covid were sick for two weeks!  They felt nauseous and tired, but have now fully recovered.  They didn't get the vaccine.  One has had Covid previously.  It concerns me when people get it repeatedly.  From what I have read, repeat cases can cause more severe health problems in the future.  It's such an intense experience.

My other friend is eighty, and even though she tests every week at work, she still got it.  She said it was kind of depressing, and she felt a malaise.   She decided to take the treatment that her doctor recommended, since she is older.  

My friend in Australia fell ill with it on his trip here, so did his wife.  He is still coughing...it's weird how it lingers.

What is your status with Covid?  I am still masking and taking precautions.  It seems the Moderna vaccines have worked for me, so far.  I have only had Covid one time that I know of, in 2019, before we knew what it was. 

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please reply in English.  I'm sorry, but those with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated. 


14 comments:

  1. That is quite a large tally of friends of yours who have covid. I recall when officials insisted if we get the jab we will not get covid, then they changed to it doesn't prevent it but it will be less severe, and they also insisted if you get the jab you can not transmit it, which they now admit is not correct. Hard to know who or what to believe. Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is confusing, Terra. The nurse that gave it to me said that it protects you from dying from Covid.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you got your booster shot and hope you have no negative reactions. I'm up to date on my vaccines and boosters. My daughter was up to date on her vaccines and boosters, too, but, she still got Covid, just before Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope she had a mild case, Bless. I did have a negative reaction again, but am feeling better today. It's a relief to have it out of the way...

      Delete
  3. $130 for a vaccine - that's shocking!!!
    I only mask nowadays if I am asked to and that hardy ever happens. It's still floating around here but people are getting more colds now than actual covid although it's hard to tell which is which until you test.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm glad I went while they are still free, Joy. I also still have plenty of Covid tests from when they gave them to us at the library. It's interesting to hear the situation in other parts of the world.

      Delete
  4. Sorry, I forgot to say that I hope your friends will all be OK and are not feeling too rough. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joy. My friend who if eighty just texted me that she is going to talk to her doctor, because she doesn't want to go through this again. She feels her immunity is weaker, because of her age.

      Delete
  5. If I have had COVID I don't know about it! I did have a rather heavy head cold when we returned from visited our youngest son in Hawaii last July, but repeat testing was negative for COVID. It was just a normal cold. Steve never had any head cold symptoms. I received my bivalent vaccine right before Christmas along with my very first ever flu shot. I was miserable overnight but felt fine the next day. I hope all your friends recover from COVID.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you recovered quickly, Anita. I took an Ibufrofen this morning and feel like myself again. Last night I had chills, a headache, felt sick and weak. What a difference today. Such a relief!

      Delete
  6. That must be such a worry for you. I have had it twice now, although thankfully it has been no worse than a cold on either occasion, and I never suffered with a cough or bad chest.
    I hope your friends recover quickly. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that you had such mild cases, Jules. My experience was intense with both the virus and the vaccines. At least now I know that Ibuprofen works like a miracle for me.

      Delete
  7. I only know 2 people who only had mild symptoms with covid, omicron variation. I had all of my shots, but still got it a couple of years ago. I was quite unwell. I know of a man in his early 30s who had to be hospitalised with it, despite having all of his shots. And sadly, this week a dear friend passed over, he had been hospitalised with very low oxygen levels from covid, meaning lung and heart damage. He never really recovered. Sadder still, was that he was full on into conspiracy theories and didn't believe that covid was true. Until he got it. A research senior nurse told me that when you have a reaction to a vaccine, it means that the vaccine is working.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I read, too, ratnamurti. I just wish I had known to take I Ibuprofen the first day. It made a world of difference. I'm glad you recovered, It is so intense and different than anything I have ever experienced.

      Delete