Monday, February 13, 2023

Getting a Refund For a Canceled Flight or Cruise

 


Last June, I planned a trip from Miami through the Panama Canal.  It was a fifteen night cruise with NCL.  I found an excellent deal, and booked a flight on Delta Airlines.  I got an excellent price through Travelocity.  Unfortunately, I started receiving emails from them saying that my flight number had been changed.  This happened twice.  Shortly after that, I was notified by email that my flight had been canceled. 

I called the cruise line to see if I could rebook a flight through them.  It would have cost me thousands of dollars at that point, because hotel prices in Miami were now astronomical, and they wanted a two-night minimum.  My original flight got me to the port the morning of our departure.  The only comparable flight was out of Ontario, which was a three-hour drive from my cottage.  

Fortunately, I had purchased the premium travel insurance that NCL offers.  I realized I needed to cancel the cruise.  NCL gave me two thirds of my money back, and advised me to file a claim for the rest.  Travelocity gave me a refund right away, which was a relief.  (I had purchased flight insurance, as well.)

The insurance company asked for an uploaded copy of my itinerary, a receipt from NCL, and had me fill out a short form, giving the dates that I had booked the cruise and paid for the insurance.

Travel insurance is key!  With all the airlines overbooking these days, it is worth the money.  I have recently been doing more local travel, since that way I can drive myself.  

Have you ever been in this situation?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please reply in English.  I'm sorry, but those with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.


8 comments:

  1. A shame you had to cancel the cruise but, so glad that you were able to get a refund! Can't say I've been in a similar situation (haven't flown in years or taken a cruise in forever!), but, I must mention travel insurance to my daughter as she travels more than I do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bless...so am I. Traveling is very different now, and they have a shortage of staff. Some people go a day or two early, just in case.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you pretty much got your money back but what a shame about the cruise. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joy. I was able to book a future cruise that will cost less and be more convenient. I won't have to worry about flights or hotels.

      Delete
  3. No, Stephenie, we never have but haven't been overseas since 2001. It obviously pays to take out insurance as soon as you book just in case....
    Well done on getting a refund so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, PP. After this experience, I will always spring for travel insurance. They are pretty backed up with claims right now. The more documentation you have, the better...

      Delete
  4. We always have travel insurance for big trips like cruises or overseas trips. I have a friend/neighbor who is a high end travel agent and she takes care of everything for us on these types of trips. When our trips were cancelled due to COVID, the process of refunds was smooth and fast. Too bad about missing that cruise, but the replacement one sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Anita. There are some excellent deals available online now. I like planning way in advance and looking forward to the trip. You were wise to purchase travel insurance for your big trips.

    ReplyDelete