Monday, February 27, 2023

Supplies Are Critical During a Blizzard

 


This is my front yard.  My neighbor took some photos for me from her porch.  The snow in front of our cars is now up to our heads, since the snowplow passed.  Most of us spent hours the past few days, shoveling.  We are expecting more snow today and tomorrow.  


I did many things right before this storm, and some things wrong.  I wish I had brought is four or five times as much firewood.  I had a delivery dropped the day it started snowing, but that wood is not fully seasoned.  My original woodpile is quite far from the cabin, for fire safety.  Some of the chunks I bought for the fireplace are to large to squeeze into the fireplace insert.  I will have to split them with a log splitter.  


I have plenty of food, and am very glad that I stocked up on things like canned meat and chicken, tuna, pasta, soup, and coffee.  The dogs have a strong supply of kibble and dog biscuits.  They don't understand why we aren't going for walks, and the bones I boiled for them caused them both to have accidents in the house in the middle of the night.  So, in addition to all the shoveling, there has been time spent cleaning up their indoor poop and urination.  

It helps to wash your hair, take a bath, and practice self-care.  We are fortunate to have power, cell phone service, and Internet.  I wish I had stored my tire chains and emergency food supply in the house, and not in my car.  It took me hours to shovel my way up there, and the car was buried in snow.  

It is so important to prepare for emergencies to the best of your ability.  Life is much calmer and you feel more stable when you can hunker down at home in a storm.  

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please reply in English.  I'm sorry, but those with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated. 



14 comments:

  1. I wasn't able to delete that repeat photo, but I'll get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like a real winter wonderland! I'd have preferred to ride out the blizzard at the cottage instead of the cabin, though. I would have thought it would have been easier! We learn from doing, they say; next year, you'll know what to do differently to be better prepared. Stay warm and dry, Stephenie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rain and wind were very extreme at the cottage, Bless. A huge elm tree next door to me fell down and blocked our street. I wouldn't have been able to get back here because of the snow. I am glad I stayed and am doing the work of snow removal.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  3. That's a lot of snow! Glad to hear that you and your dogs are safely tucked up inside with enough food to last you a while. I hope you are able to reach your well seasoned wood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christina. I hope I am, too. The electric heaters are doing a great job. Thank goodness we have lots of blankets and an electric blanket on the bed.

      Delete
  4. As they say, experience is the best teacher. Given that you rarely have snow (have I got that right?), I think you have done extremely well.
    The photos are stunning - wow!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joy, We have snow every winter. This is a ski town. Thank you, my neighbor took the photos for me.

      Delete
  5. That is a lot of snow! Thank goodness you were well prepared. X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! You did get the storm didn't you? Hope you had your knitting with you :-) Poor doggies, guessing they were just a upset as you were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We sure did, Jules. I have my knitting, but have been busy shoveling snow. We are doing well. Their stomachs reacted to the bones I gave them. They are asleep on the couch now.

      Delete
  7. I suspect you are getting even more snow since you posted this. Stay safe and be careful doing all that shoveling. The pictures are beautiful, but look really, really cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we have, Anita. It has just been dumping. Just paid the electric bill. (whistle.) They've declares it a disaster, and are offering relief to people who need firewood, food, water, and snow removal.

      Delete