Wednesday, July 5, 2023

Consider the Weather for Where You Plan to Retire

 


As I've gotten older, I have realized how important it is to live in an area where the temperatures are comfortable.  At my mountain cabin, I can avoid the sweltering heat that we experience in the desert areas.  Those soaring temperatures can make it difficult to live and to sleep.  Even with the air conditioning running, the heat is still brutal. Since up here I am within walking distance to the lake, I can cool off  with a swim in the water, and then stretch out on my towel to lay out in the sun.  The body relaxes in milder climates.


Although the winters up here are long and cold, I have the option to drive down to the cottage and enjoy a moderate winter without having to shovel snow or crank up the heat.  It is so nice to have alternatives.  Some  people choose to be snowbirds as they age.  In California, Palm Springs is a popular location  for those who want to escape the cold season.  They return to their residences in the early spring.

How is the weather where you live?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please reply in English.  I'm sorry, but those with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated. 

10 comments:

  1. The weather is nice where I live. I love the warm temperatures of the summer and early fall and the relatively mild winters, although I still feel cold in winter! At least it doesn't snow! Maybe I should move to Palm Springs for the winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bless, I know you wear several layers in the winter. I still was shocked at the difference in the cold up in the mountains of California. It chills your bones...

      Delete
  2. I am in the north east of England and our weather, like in the whole of the UK, is very changeable due to our position lying between the Atlantic and continental Europe. On the plus side I live on the drier side of the country - we have friends who live on the other side, in the Lake District and there is a very good reason there are a lot of lakes there! On the negative side, if we get bad Winter weather it tends to come from the direction of Scandinavia, so it hits us first. But I had better stop there. You know how us Brits like to talk about the weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracy, Thank you for commenting. I find that very interesting. We were just at one of our nearby lakes this morning. My neighbor caught eight fish, and I kayaked. I remember all of the rain when I visited London last year. I love it there.

      Delete
  3. It is wonderful that you have 2 choices in places to spend your time. I cannot imagine a better place to retire than Southern California, but then I am pretty biased!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't, either, Anita. Mallorca is pretty amazing, too.

      Delete
  4. I too am in the North of England but would happily move to warmer climes. I don't mind the cold but it's the dreary greyness of winter that lowers my mood. I need blue skies and sunshine even when it's cold.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean, Cherie. I feel the same way. The sun makes such a difference in my mood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have the best of both worlds! And you were a smart planner.

    When you want to see snow, you can. Snow is one reason we left Pennsylvania (where we went for only four years after my husband retired, we are both from PA) and came back to Delaware. We couldn't take the constant snow and how it limits you for going out places. andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know what you mean, Andrea. I love spending time at the cottage when it gets cold up here. The winters there are so mild. Delaware sounds like a nice place to retire.

      Delete