Saturday, July 22, 2023

Making Time For What's Important in Retirement

 


As we age, we realize what makes us feel happy, fulfilled and relaxed.  Like many of you, I am a great lover of nature.  I feel fortunate to reside in an area where I can swim, kayak, hike, ride my bicycle and relax.  Although I love to visit cities, I always breathe a sigh of relief upon seeing the mountains, the clear blue sky, and the sight of our freshwater lakes.  

Some of my friends and I enjoy watching documentaries.  I just watched one about a man who lived out in the wilderness of Alaska, in close association with grizzly bears.  He and his girlfriend were ultimately mauled to death by one of them.  It struck me how naive he seemed in the footage.  I felt an instant sense of predators from the moment we arrived on my land.  So did Lula.  When your cabin is near wild animals, you need to constantly be aware.  You also need to carefully observe people.  Your gut is always right.  I like to watch the wildlife on my cameras, but make sure to keep my distance if I encounter them.    So many people grossly underestimate their power and hunger.  Usually, they seem as surprised to see me as I am to see them.  

How have you been spending your time?  Do you have any new hobbies at this age?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please reply in English.  I'm sorry, but those with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated. 

10 comments:

  1. Hard for a kiwi (New Zealander) to understand regarding wild life. The worst "predators" that we have, are a very tiny Australian spider, and a wee native one. Both with poisonous, but not usually terminal, bites. It sounds as though you are really savvy regarding the local wildlife where you live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ratnamurti. Most of the "accidents" seem to happen when people want to snap a picture or film. The last thing I would do in that situation would be to start videotaping. You have to be so alert and quiet. I have encountered a mountain lion, (while in my car,) a buffalo on the hiking trail, a wolf in my backyard, a bobcat, several deer, and a fox. Some of them seemed friendly, but I know how things can change in an instant.

      Delete
  2. I now have time and that means I can follow my own inclination far more than ever before. Enough time is a great gift and often underestimated, I think.
    I don't see much wild life around here, right on the edge of a city, just the usual small animals. Nothing particularly dangerous, thank goodness. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful that you have more time now, Joy. I agree with you about it being a great gift. You can rest and relax when you need to...no pressure to hurry and finish tasks as quickly as possible.

      Delete
  3. I'm taking time to relax and do my crafts, etc. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen your work, Bless. It's beautiful. Crafting is so healthy for the spirit.

      Delete
  4. I am officially retired in that myself and my husband are no longer in any kind of paid employment, but since I am a carer for my 25 year old son, who has severe learning difficulties and autism, I can't really say that I am fully retired. I haven't discovered any new hobbies yet, but I do have more time for old ones, some of which had fallen by the wayside. I enjoy gardening, going for walks in the countryside and watching wildlife/birdwatching, embroidery, reading and playing the tenor horn, something that had been put on hold for over 35 years! I have also rediscovered yoga after a very long break and am pleased with how much it has increased my flexibility and improved my balance after just a few weeks. I definitely feel that I have found the real me again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your life sounds very full, Tracy. Isn't yoga amazing? Thank you for reading and for commenting. Welcome.

      Delete
  5. We are fortunate to live on the edge of a nature reserve with lots of hiking trails. It is interesting to observe the changes in the plants in the reserve during the year. Right now the native chaparral is turning from green to brown. It will be almost black by October. I am still knitting, reading, traveling and learning/sharing local history as a volunteer docent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds fantastic, Anita. You have so many interests and options.

      Delete