Friday, July 28, 2023

Learning From a Robbery on our Street

 The other night, I spoke on the phone with a neighbor of mine who was recently been robbed.  He was away at the time, but I think the lessons I learned from his story could help all of us.  He told me that they entered through a window.  He has double deadbolt locks on his doors, so you need a key to open them from the inside, as well.  The windows were all locked except for the bathroom.  He had cracked it, thinking that because it is really small, and eight feet off the ground, no one could get inside of it.  

They used a ladder, cut the screen, and hoisted up a "really little guy," into the opening.  I studied the tape and photos he sent me.  "That's not a guy," I told him.  "That's a child.  He looks about eight.  I can tell by the arms."  I taught dance and yoga for decades, and I know bodies.  An adult male would have a much more muscular arm.

They took $1,500. worth of change, some baseball cards, and equipment he uses to find coins.  They spent an hour and a half at his home, arriving in the dark at 3:00 a.m.  They were covered in baggy black clothes, sporting bandanas and ski masks, and they parked right in front of his house.  The largest man silently entered his garage carrying a gun pointing ahead of him.  They were gang members.  All of this was caught on camera. 

When I asked him, my neighbor told me that he didn't have the alarm set.  Many people that have alarms don't use them, for various reasons.   He said that his kept going off, so he disengaged it. 

He no longer keeps cash in his house.  He rolled up all the change that they didn't find and deposited it at the bank.  He has removed everything valuable from the house.  

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but those with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.  

10 comments:

  1. How scary! At least he was not at home at the time of the robbery and didn't get hurt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How frightening, did the cameras catch the license plate of the vehicle? They used a ladder, it sounds like they cased the place ahead of time and using a child to commit a crime is shocking. I hope your neighbor showed the police the camera footage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did show the police the footage, Terra. I think people don't realize that they may use a ladder to get upstairs.

      Delete
  3. What a horrible story. To use a child in this manner is inhumane. There were a series of home robberies around here a few years ago where the thieves would impersonate gardeners-one would run a blower in the front and the others would break in through the back. The blower would mask the sound of breaking glass. So scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those types of crimes are common, Anita. I always call the company and check. It's so important to be alert and aware. I think it helps to have a large dog who is protective of the house and owner.

      Delete
  4. Thank goodness the property was empty. I am always thankful that I live in a reasonably safe area. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Jules. This is happening even in safe parts of California.

      Delete
  5. That's awful. Our friend has just had his car stolen off the drive. The scumbags had broken in through the kitchen door and stolen the keys. It's a gang of three that have targeted the area and stolen several cars.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Cherie. How frustrating. I hope they are caught and jailed.

    ReplyDelete