Sunday, February 18, 2024

Vegetables For Breakfast in California

 



This morning I boiled some green beans on the stove in a small amount of salted water.  After draining them in a colander, I swirled them in their original pot in a small amount of Danish Creamery butter, and pressed a clove of fresh garlic over the surface.  The warmth of the saucepan will melt the butter.

Sunchokes are a vegetable that I was recently introduced to through our local farmers.  I expected them to taste like artichokes, of which I am a huge fan.  Instead, they remind me of homemade potato chips with a sunflower flavor. They are addictive!  I couldn’t wait to make them again.

Shaped like a bulb, they resemble  ginger.  I sliced them width-wise,  thinly, and baked them in olive oil, seasoning them with salt and pepper.  They cook very quickly, and make a delicious side dish to any meal.  I enjoyed  them last night, for dinner, with spicy chicken wings and a vegetable salad.

What do you eat for breakfast?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please reply in English.  I’m sorry, but those with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.



8 comments:

  1. That looks like a very healthy breakfast! I haven't tried sunchokes, but, I've heard that they are very good. My breakfasts vary. Today, I had an asparagus sandwich for breakfast; one of my cousins made them and they have cheese and asparagus in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bless. I made the same meal today. Your asparagus sandwich sounds divine.

      Delete
  2. That looks great! I love breakfast. It’s my favorite meal. I make scrambled eggs and green smoothie for myself and the kids every weekday morning. But maybe I’ll cook up some green veggies this morning to go with it! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Courtney, Thanks for commenting. Hope you and your kids enjoy your healthy morning meals together.

      Delete
  3. Breakfast is always black coffee, no sugar, and an orange. I am intrigued now by sunchokes. I loved roasted vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting, Anita. I have coffee with cream and sugar, raw nuts, and a banana each morning. Let me know how you like them, if you try them.

      Delete
  4. Your breakfast looks good.
    We always start our day with an egg, or two, and a nice cup of tea!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. We call sunchokes Jerusalem artichokes and I harvested a load the other day. They really are delicious aren't they.

    ReplyDelete