Sunday, February 25, 2024

Making Your Own Sweet Potato Tortillas

 


Last week I tried a recipe for sweet potato tortillas.  The ingredients are simple: baked sweet potatoes, flour, and salt.  I used one cup of each, with a half teaspoon of salt.


The dough came out a beautiful pastel peach color, and it felt elastic, even though there is no yeast in the recipe.  I patted small ball of the dough onto my floured cutting board. Using a dry cast iron skillet, I cooked the flat bread up quickly.


I was thrilled with the result!  I layered  the above quesadilla with grated Tillamook cheddar cheese.  They keep well in the fridge.    I cut the recipe in half.  You can use two cups and of flour, sweet potatoes, and a full teaspoon of salt if you have more mouths to feed.

Let me know if you try them.  Some people use spelt flour.  I just scooped out what I had on hand.  They are fantastic!  My gluten free neighbor turned me on to them.  

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please reply in English.  I’m sorry, but 5hose with link# will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Jan. I thought of you when I made them, because I think they have less carbs than white flour tortillas.

      Delete
  2. They look great - definitely going to try this at some point, thanks, Stephanie. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a wonderful tortilla! Thank you for sharing how you made them - I will try it when I next have sweet potatoes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Bless. They are delicious, and so easy to make.

      Delete
  4. They sound really tasty. Definitely on my list to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherie, They are. Let me know how you like them.

      Delete
  5. These tortilla look delicious. I don't use sweet potatoes often but this sounds very tempting and I might give it a go. Adding sweet potatoes to the shopping list now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christina, I don't use them often, either. Our co-op gives them to us bi-weekly, and I had been giving them to my neighbor.

      Delete
  6. This sounds like a great use for sweet potatoes. I usually roast them with olive oil, salt, pepper and tarragon. Good to know that they will keep well in the refrigerator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I'll have to try that, Anita. That sounds scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete