Saturday, March 2, 2024

A Well Built Home

 


Recently I have been watching some of the real estate and homesteading shows on Max.  It is fascinating to see how other people live.  The older I get, the more I appreciate having an older home, antiques, my mom’s vintage cookware, and the quality materials that were used.

Unlike many real estate agents in California, I prefer to restore, rather than remodel.  The cabin I own was built by a talented and disciplined man from Germany.  His two sons helped him.  You can see the love and care that went into this home.  They took pride in their work, and spent money on supplies that would last for decades.

With RV traveling becoming so popular, many people are living full time or part time in vehicles.  Myself, I put great value in residing in a physical house.  During a storm like the one we have experienced recently, it is reassuring to be in a solid and safe structure.  

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please reply in English.  I’m sorry, but those with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posters here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.

11 comments:

  1. I thought about you, when I watched the news, last night, and heard about the latest storm! A well built house is a wonderful blessing, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is, Bless. We felt snug and safe inside, listening to the to the rain pattering on the roof and the wind howling through the trees.

      Delete
  2. RV living is fine for holidays but I don't think I'd like to do it full time as I love my garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my garden, too, Cherie. I'm more of a hotel person than an RV type. The trees and plants make our gardens priceless. I love the flowers and herbs...

      Delete
  3. Totally agree - it's a very reassuring thing and we are so very fortunate to be in that position, aren't we? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we are, Joy. It makes such a difference when things are done by talented craftspeople.

      Delete
  4. Our house is only 31 years old, but per all the roofers who have been crawling through the attic to look for structural damage-it is a very well-built home. No rainwater leaks! Keeping up with routine maintenance such as regular painting, termite inspections and prompt spot treatments, etc. really do make a difference. Did the storm pass you by?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Anita. We certainly have experienced some heavy rainfall the past two years. The storm was pretty light here. We received a dusting of snow in the mountains. Lots of rain, which I love...
      ..

      Delete
  5. Your cabin is so pretty, Stephenie. How old is it? Our house was originally three single storey farm labourers cottages built in 1750 and "modernised" in the 1860s. The house is pretty solid (but requires constant work), it's the 24 trees in our garden that we worry about when we get storms! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vix, That photo is actually of the Walker Ranch cabin! It is in Placerita Canyon, California, where I go hiking. Your house sounds amazing. I know what you mean about trees in the storms. Mine were recently trimmed and I had a few pines removed.

      Delete
  6. I have managed to get an small card table of inlaid woods, a wooden wash stand, and a writing desk, all 2nd hand. I only paid for the desk, $60, and it's an absolute bargain. I also have 2 vintage wooden chairs, small side table and phone thingey where you sit as you talk. All free. Am very grateful and I love it all. The house where I live is circa 1970s, it's so charming, and my flat is part of it. I love reading about your cottage and cabin. I know that I would love to live in either.

    ReplyDelete