Thursday, March 21, 2024

Cooking Your Own Healthy Meals in Retirement

 


Yesterday I made a batch of bone broth using leftover chicken wings, celery, celery leaves, carrots, onions, fresh garlic and salted water.  After simmering on the stove for a few hours, the stock had formed, I added some herbs from my garden.  Bay leaf, thyme, fresh sage, and creeping rosemary were tossed into the pot.  They make all the difference.


The dogs enjoyed some of the flavorful hot liquid on their kibble, as gravy.  They licked their plates clean.  I sipped on several mugs of I it throughout the day.  It has so many benefits.  I feel like it helps me to achieve and maintain homeostasis.  It is flavorful, relaxing and nutritious.  I also boiled some  Brussels  sprouts in boiling, salted water, and drank that green broth, as well.

The green gnocchi in the top photo are from Aldi.  They are so easy to cook, drain, and serve.  I like mine with melted Irish butter, freshly pressed garlic, sea salt,  and freshly ground pepper.  When you cook your own meals in retirement, you can nourish your body simply, healthfully and inexpensively.  The better we eat, the better we will feel and sleep as we age.  

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please reply in English.  I’m sorry, but those with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.


10 comments:

  1. Completely agree. One of the big bonuses of retirement for me is that I have the time and energy to prepare meals from scratch. So much better all round. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it really is, Joy. It's therapeutic to cook and bake from scratch. I have always done it that way, I was lucky to have the time as a dancer.

      Delete
  2. I've never seen green Gnocchi before! Eating well is so important. My body soon let's me know when I let things slide. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got those at Aldi, Jules. I think they are spinach gnocchi. It sounds like you are very in tune with your body.

      Delete
  3. Your bone broth sounds delicious! I often save chicken bones in the freezer and make soup with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea to freeze them, Bless. Then they are always available for broths or for cooking rice.

      Delete
  4. Eating well is so easy isn't it. It doesn't take a lot of time to throw together a huge bowl of salad and it will last several days if you don't add a dressing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, Cherie. I had a friend who used to keep everything for salad prepped in his fridge. I make a large salad each afternoon and finish it by the evening.

      Delete
  5. I enjoy cooking at home. Steve mentioned the other day that the meals we eat out never taste as good as the meals at home. Wasn't that a nice thing to say?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was, Anita. What a great husband Steve is. I feel the same way about the meals I prepare at home. (Although I do love eating out in restaurants when I travel.)

      Delete