Monday, March 25, 2024

Why I Don’t Want to Live Off Grid


 Recently I have been watching shows  like Homestead Rescue, and YouTube videos of people attempting and struggling with their dream of grid living.  What most of them don’t realize is how expensive and exhausting it is.  I personally greatly appreciate having electricity, snow plow services, Internet, septic,  gas and water.  

These conveniences make it much easier to do chores, cook, and keep your food from spoiling.  They also provide safety, space, organization, and cleanliness.  Personally, I think many of these back to the land people are simply drawn  to the pull of nature and a majestic mountain view.  When I moved into my cottage, a yoga student described the yards here as “having just dirt and rocks, and nothing growing.”  As you can see in the above photo, I planted a front garden, and now have an inspiring cocoon.

After seeing my backyard orchard, some of the neighbors planted their own fruit trees.  They look stunning, especially when they are in bloom.  The trees have room to reach upwards and stretch. The couple who live behind that white fence bought their home and land, improved and remodeled the house, and turned the acreage into an alpaca farm!  My neighbor and I get to enjoy watching the peaceful animals while eating meals and drinking coffee on our front porches.

We can hang our clothes to dry in the sun, cook and bake from scratch, and enjoy a hot bath before bed without transporting ourselves to a remote location with no amenities.  Sometimes it is better to keep what you have and improve it.

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please reply in English.  I’m sorry, but those with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear, they are moderated.




11 comments:

  1. Beautiful, healthy trees! I think trees are a great idea, especially if you don't want to dig a garden or have room for a garden. I agree with what you wrote. I think technology is great. andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't they gorgeous, Andrea? Yes, trees make such a difference in the feeling of the land.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, I would hate to live totally off grid. I love what you have done to reach out to nature while remaining close to all those useful amenities and services that make our lives so much safer and comfortable. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joy. I love it, too. A front garden is priceless.

      Delete
  4. Those orange trees! In my dreams!!
    I always associate living off grid with crazy people who stockpile weapons and believe in conspiracy theories. Electric lights, gas ovens and central heating for me, please! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know what you mean, Vix. Citrus grow really well here. The bottom photo is of the Meyer Lemon. I love all the conveniences that you mentioned, too.

      Delete
  5. This is off-topic but I wanted to thank you for the 'recipe' for the sweet potato tortillas. I was finally able to try it. I only baked one sweet potato so had barely a 1/2 cup but I adjusted per your ratios and made two very nice tortillas which I used for white bean quesadillas. They were great. Both hubby and I really enjoyed. I had previously made a recipe for 'easy' tortillas which had lots of oil in it and tasted pretty awful. I would've never thought to use sweet potatoes and no fat so thanks so much. I really enjoy your blog though I don't comment often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm so glad you enjoyed it, Bobi. Thanks for letting me know. I made a recipe for chewy flour tortillas that didn't turn out that well, either. I love the sweet potato ones. They are so easy.

      Delete
  6. I feel so blessed to live in this modern age. It makes having a simple life easier. I remember my grandmother saying the best invention ever was Kleenex. No more disgusting handkerchiefs to wash, hand dry, and iron for her brothers and father on the ranch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure does, Anita. I agree with your grandmother. I remember my dad carrying those old fashioned handkerchiefs. I love my Kleenex, too.

      Delete
  7. I love modern conveniences and wouldn't want to give them up. My mini orchard is coming along nicely which proves that you don't need a lot of space to grow tree fruits.

    ReplyDelete