Saturday, March 9, 2024

Do You Sleep Well?

 


One of the top difficulties that many seniors face is that they have trouble sleeping.  Before I had my hips replaced, I was one of those people.  I would dread going to bed, because I knew that the pain radiating down my legs would increase.  If someone or something woke me in the night, I would feel enraged, because it was so difficult to get back to sleep, or to get any sleep.  This sets up a vicious cycle.

Thankfully, I now fall quickly into a deep slumber after heading to bed.  It is such a relief to be pain free and to experience the peaceful, healing qualities of deep sleep. It is restorative and rejuvenating.

These fresh flowers are something I started splurging on in the last year.  I showcase them in  vintage crystal vases the previous owner left at the cabin..   I buy the bulbs from a local woman in Wrightwood.  I also grow tulips, daffodils. and irises of my own.  They are so lovely to enjoy while living life inside the cottage.

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please reply in English.  I’m sorry, but those with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.






19 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you are now pain free - what a blessing that is.
    The flowers are beautiful. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Joy. Yes, that is true. I appreciate it all the more, after steadily going downhill before having my hips replaced. I love the colorful flowers, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being pain free is such a blessing, isn't it? I remember when I was having that sciatica episode when I was in so much pain! Last night, I had some pain in the small of my back, at the base of my spine. It was still painful this morning, but, it seems to have gone away now. As for falling asleep, I have no problem sleeping once I am in bed; it is getting to bed at a decent hour that is my problem! I don't feel sleepy until the wee hours of the morning! I need to work on bringing my bedtime up!
    Those tulips are so pretty! They really go well with your Desert Rose china!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is, Bless. Thank you; I love the tulips and that pink and white vintage china. It goes so well in the pink cottage. Hope your back is feeling better today.

      Delete
  4. The flowers and plates on your table are so striking! How cheery and bright to welcome in spring. I can relate to your sentiments on hip pain and trying to sleep. I, too, am sleeping better now since my surgery, and am so grateful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Courtney. I love them. What a relief for you to be sleeping better since having your surgery. Nice to hear from you again.

      Delete
  5. Good for you, that you are pain free.I returned now to school and I am working at after - school club, we work in the morning and in the afternoon, after lessons of children,and I have 3 lessons with a girl personally.In September I had an operation of my knee.The doctor got rid of my meniscus and now I am pain free too.Greetings and I wish you a good health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, a torn meniscus is so serious, Nowe. I know some dancers who have had that surgery. I wish you good health, as well, Nowe.

      Delete
  6. I have never been a good sleeper. For many reasons. But am so glad that you are now pain free during the nights. Do you have an evening and morning routine? I'm sure that others would love to know, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sort of, ratnamurti. I like to do yoga before going to bed, and have coffee and journal in the morning.

      Delete
  7. I totally understand the hip pain and thank my lucky stars it's no longer an issue. A good night's sleep is so important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is, Cherie. We are fortunate that our hip surgeries went so well. What a difference!

      Delete
  8. Such beautiful flowers. Being pain free is such a blessing for you. I am not a good sleeper-never have been even as a girl. Now that I have retired, bouts of insomnia are much rarer, but they still come about a few times a year. Getting a good 6 or 7 hours of sleep is always something I am grateful for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anita. I really enjoy the flowers. That's interesting that you did not sleep well, even as a girl.

      Delete
  9. I couldn't imagine being in constant pain like you describe. It must feel debilitating.
    The best sleep, for me, comes when I've enjoyed a long walk in the fresh air. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jules, Yes, fresh air is a natural elixir. I love the mountain air for that reason. It's so healing.

      Delete
  10. Oh yeah, I remember the hip pain all too well - luckily mine was replaced when I was 39 and I've slept like a baby ever since! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Vix. It's been life changing for me, as well.

      Delete
    2. That's great, Vix. It's been life changing for me, as well.

      Delete