Sunday, May 26, 2024

Made My First Stock Sale on Schwab

 


On Friday, I took out my required minimum distribution from my Stretch IRA account.  Charles Schwab has a 24 hour hotline, and they will walk you through any sales or purchases you want to make.  The operators are very helpful and knowledgeable.  I love not having to pay any fees.  They are often hidden when you use a broker. 

I contacted the woman who helped me set up my retirement account there.  It was very easy.  We used an online calculator to give us the numbers.  With her guidance, I set up the sale and transfer.  It’s important to remember that it takes time for the money to reach your bank or credit union.  

I expected the money to arrive in my account on Monday, but it was already sitting in the account by Saturday.  I was also able to have the taxes taken out, so I don’t get hit with an unexpected tax bill next year.

It takes discipline and attention to detail to get your taxes paid on time.  Having it all written on a calendar or in a datebook is helpful.  If your stocks have done well, you may have enough to pay for a nice trip!

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please reply in English.  I’m sorry, but those with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.



10 comments:

  1. That first photo intrigues me, what building is that on the small island?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure, Terra. We cruised by it in Alaska. It could be a lighthouse.

      Delete
  2. Well done - although it sounds a bit complicated. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joy. It's basically just making transfers. I liked having an adviser walk me through it the first time, though.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you did well with your first stock sale! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How comforting to have a real live person take you through the process. Moving money is always stressful to me even if I know exactly what I am doing. Where were the beach pictures taken?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Anita. The photos of the beach were taken near Astoria, Oregon. I took a tour there of Seaside and another small town. It was so pretty.

      Delete
  5. You handle you money so brilliantly, Stephenie. I think that keeping on top of this area of life is so important

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Ratnamurti. I think so, too. There is so much to learn and understand with money and retirement. I am always reading articles and studying the market. It has opened up a whole new world to me.

    ReplyDelete