Thursday, January 18, 2018

Handling Pressure



Lately I've been thinking about how to deal with pressure from people who want my time, energy, or expertise. I've recently had to set boundaries with individuals  and charities who have asked me to donate my time free of charge. Although I do some charity knitting, tithe, blog, and donate my knowledge to a few forums, I realized that it is just getting to be too much for me. The bottom line is, I need to make money. I can't just give everything away on a daily basis.

My parents always taught me to work and earn money. From a very young age, I was babysitting, folding laundry, washing cars, and assisting adults. Because of this, I always had  the cash I needed for dance lessons, hobbies, or going out to eat. I loved that I always had plenty of money to buy my own make-up, pointe shoes, candy, lunch, or stationery. I didn't have to ask my parents for money.  If I wanted to go to the movies, or roller skating, I always had the funds. Sometimes my parents even borrowed from me, if they were short on cash. I also had a paper route. There was a lot of money flowing into my hands, because  I was always working. 

I think because I was brought up this way I am very surprised at how many people now expect me to work for free. It's been a real lesson to quote to these people the going rate, and to explain that I charge for my time. I've always trained with the top teachers, and because of that, have become a proficient and confident teacher, myself. The dance, yoga,  and knitting education I received has been worth every penny.



My father gave me good advice as far as responding to requests. He told me to ask, "What do I need to do, and what are the financial arrangements?" I love his choice of words. If the answer is, "We need you to do x, y, and z, and we don't pay," I don't do it.

Suze Orman teaches women: "When you undervalue what you do, the world will undervalue who you are" She also reverses it: "When you undervalue who you are, the world will undervalue what you do." This really struck home with me. What's interesting to me is that as a child, no one EVER expected me to work for them for free. They were always generous and enthusiastic about paying me. I don't think any of those people were in debt, either. They probably owed money on their homes, but I doubt any of them had car payments, or credit card debt. It was a different time, and adults managed their money very well. They also made about 18% interest on their savings. It's so important to be compensated for our effort,  time, talent, and knowledge.

I love it when Suze Orman tells women, "You are not on sale.Remember that? Sale! 50% off!" That always makes me laugh. It's very true. Time and time again, I see women barely breaking even, because they are charging half of what they should be. It's up to us to set our prices, and to stick to them.

I recently received an Etsy order for a cashmere scarf and beanie. This customer is paying over $500.00 for  high end  set of beautiful hand knits. She values the quality, and understands that this is a fair price. I spelled it all out for her. I detailed the cost of the yarn, California tax, over a week of knitting labor at several hours a day, and the shipping materials. Those customers are out there. It's so important to find the right people.



I received an email today with a photo of the woman who received the knitted knockers that I made for breast cancer survivors. I wanted to show you her picture, but my downloads are disappearing. I'm not sure why. I guess I will have to pay a computer repairman the going rate to show me. Ha ha. They are not cheap, and that's my point. It was exciting to see the person who received them. I made three different sizes. She looks like she chose the C cup.  For some reason, I didn't think anyone would want the ones I had made. I had read after finishing  them that most women like the neutral shades. This was all they had left in the discount bin at the yarn shop. Still, she picked mine. I thought they would go well with jeans. That made me  so happy. It feels good to give when you can. You should never feel pressured or forced to give more than you can afford. It's a delicate balance.             

Thank you for your comments. If you enjoy the articles here, please share them.

16 comments:

  1. I love the quote about not undervaluing yourself. I don't know if you are actually interested in teaching knitting but if there is a yarn shop or art center where you could teach on occasion, it would be very easy to say something like, "Oh you can give X a call. I think there's still room in the class I'm teaching." Or something of that sort. I think some people just don't think about it and view one as a living YouTube video.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so funny! We have a wonderful local yarn shop, but they don't need any teachers. I like teaching out of my home, one on one.

      Delete
  2. You are so right, Stephenie. Giving is good but we should not be pressured to give our time, knowledge freely all the time. Good for you for setting boundaries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nil. It was starting to snowball. I am concentrating on the paid work now.

      Delete
  3. I am sure you have heard the saying time is money, I have been trying to find a good balance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true, Simple Living. We have to make the most of our time and talents.

      Delete
  4. In the past I have been used and I intensely disliked people involved..Not a good feeling...I have no intention to increase the number of people that I dislike in the future. If I feel giving I do and enjoy and feel good about it.I retired at 50,some luck,and rich Chinese investors .I sold my business and building. I don't plan to work and my money has to last me and time I don't have free to give.After years of high demands,loans,risk I need easy. Be firm and change what is going rate for your work. I get so many request to help people in business. I just say no but if I ever start to work I will charge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hope, Thanks for your comment and insight. Congratulations on your early retirement. It sounds like you have an excellent business sense.

      Delete
  5. This is a great post! I have always had trouble saying no to things but I am getting better as I get older. I do think it's fair to be paid for your time and expertise because you need financial security too. It's lovely that someone is happy to pay for your beautiful knitted work. I'm sure they'll treasure those pieces! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meg, Thank you. I am really enjoying knitting with this yarn. It is so soft and luxurious! Saying no is an important skill to learn. Sometimes people get overly excited by talent and training. They don't always realize the amount of time, sweat, and discipline that has gone into it.

      Delete
  6. It sounds like you have made an excellent life decision! Good for you. By the way-a few weeks ago I checked out from the library that same book about the cottages in Carmel. It is a beautiful book. Someday I will have to go up that way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, It feels that way. Isn't that a lovely book? My mom gave it to me. I love the photos of the cottages...

      Delete
  7. Many years ago I received a phonecall from a school where I had previously worked. The young man asked if I would teach craft to a group of people on a voluntary basis as they had no money in the budget. I asked him whether he was paid to go to work. When he replied yes, I told him that I too have bills to pay. Oddly enough they managed to find spare money in the budget to pay me. I worked many many years on a voluntary basis in the Adult Education sector and I know that I have earned the right to charge for my time/skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great question that you asked him, Cherie. I'm so glad to hear that he decided to pay you.

      Delete
  8. I'm quite curious as to what you think of your little story about cottages in Carmel. I love Carmel to all the ends of the earth...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Raquel, it's a wonderful little book, with charming photos. I think you would love it. My mom gave it to me for Christmas. I used to go with my parents to Carmel for the holidays.

      Delete