Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Practicing Yoga Before You Go to Sleep Part Two





I take a deep relaxation in the middle of my evening yoga practice. I lay on my back and pay attention to the subtle  changes that I feel in my body from the standing poses. Sometimes I will do a simple meditation, like inhaling healing golden light energy, and exhaling out any pain or fear. The more you can expand on the inhale, the better the effects. You really want to fill your body with oxygen.

Remaining on my back, I usually pull my knees into my chest, one at a time. I have never been able to get my knees completely into my chest. I don't worry about it. I just allow the hips to stretch into a natural position. I also lengthen the hamstrings by extending the leg and gently pulling it towards me. Since having my hips replaced, I barely pull. I'm always conscious of working gradually, which is what Dr. Matta told me to do.

From there I roll on to my stomach and do cobra, half locust, full locust, and bow. I have always loved this series of four poses. I relax again on my back, breathing fully and deeply. I rock back and forth on my spine once again, and then rest in child's pose.



I conclude with a very careful wheel pose or a simpler backbend, and then a seated forward fold. I move into shoulder stand, plough, and headstand. Although all of this is done in a relaxed and non forceful way, it really gets the circulation flowing, and it keeps my body feeling alive and youthful.

Each time we practice yoga, it's like we are depositing money into a savings account. I never got into the competitive yoga movement that made it intense, hard core, or aggressive. I feel the same way about physical therapy. I just find that if you work in a quiet, calm, meditative fashion, you reap the benefits in a subtle way.

When I shot these photographs, I was 47 years old. I am now 52. The makeup artist on set said to me, "You are not going to be cast as a grandma. You look like a girl." That's what 30 years of practicing yoga does, it shapes the muscles and preserves them. The poses are familiar and comfortable. Yoga also helps you to gravitate towards food choices that are healthy and nutritious. It's a lifestyle.      

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic exercises and your shape is wonderful too, congratulations,anna

    ReplyDelete