Monday, June 26, 2017

Knitting the Toe of a Sock


I love knitting the toe portion of a sock. I just finished the first one of the pair of maroon and gold socks that I am making. I had to stop and go back after about four rows. Somehow my stitch count got off, and I wasn't sure why. I picked back a few rows and started again. This time everything was fine. Fortunately it happened on the toe and not the heel. It's much more difficult to fix a mistake on a short row heel. Well, for me it is.

The pattern I use has you decrease every other row next to the big toe and next to the little toe. The even rows are straight knit. I like to do the toe in one sitting, so that I remember where I am. I use a stitch maker halfway through to remind me to repeat.



I do this portion of my sock on double pointed needles. It gets too tight at the end for me to continue to use the tiny circulars. When using this yarn, I knit the first part of the sock on size one circular needles. I switch to size 1.5 for the toes. I knit more tightly on double pointed needles than I do on circulars. This way my stitches are the same size.



After I finish the last decrease round, it's time for kitchener stitch. I love this finish, because it's seamless. I had a couple of problems this time. I dropped a few stitches, because I'm rusty when it comes to working with dpn's. I realized that I need to keep knitting socks regularly. That way I'm confident and secure. I also had trouble when one of my stitch markers got embedded in the stitches at the end of the last round. I had to undo a few stitches to remove it.  One nice thing about making socks is that there are only two ends to sew in at the end. It's quick and easy. One down, one to go!  

No comments:

Post a Comment