Saturday, July 1, 2017

An Inexpensive Vacation


 I just returned from a wonderful vacation to the Bay Area. I drove out to Russian River, and spent the night with one of my closest friends from elementary school and her family. I hadn't been to their  house on the river for forty years. It is just exquisite. This time, I saw it through adult eyes.  As a young girl, I was thrilled with the canoe, and the fact that we could take it out on the water together. We had so much freedom. At that age  I fantasized about how incredible it would be to one day to have my very own canoe. This time I was amazed at the beautiful landscape, the gorgeous architecture of her home, and the breathtaking views. The old trees add so much charm and healing energy. What a setting.





We drove into town and enjoyed live music and a picnic. The shops were all very high end and artistic. I splurged on a coffee, which is something I usually make at home. It made it more special. It was fun to people watch and to imagine what it would be like to live in this special place. I had packed Dave's Seed Bread, smoked turkey breast, Tillamook cheese, and watermelon. There were several of us staying at the house, and we all pitched in food. I ate turkey and cheese sandwiches instead of stopping at restaurants on the drive up there. I didn't have to pay for a hotel, because my friend let me stay in a gorgeous suite in their home. Entertainment was free, because we listened to the band and danced to the music together.


The next day her husband drove us up the the top of the river, and we took kayaks and inner tubes down the water on a two hour trip. The scenery was breathtaking. I just loved the sunshine, water, turtles sunning themselves on river rocks, and gorgeous view of the homes on the river.


The next afternoon,  I drove south on the 101 for a couple of hours towards my hometown. Crossing the Golden Gate Bridge was exciting. I drove up the Presidio, took 280 to my dad's house, and spent the night there. Once again, I didn't have to pay for a hotel. We went out for dinner, but didn't order drinks, coffee, or dessert. I brought a tin of Danish butter cookies that I had bought at Ross. I invited a close friend from my ballet school days over for coffee the next morning. It was wonderful to see her and to catch up on each other's lives. I headed home in time to beat the traffic. The only cost I had for this trip was the gas. I brought some homemade soap to give as thank you gifts to my friend and her husband who put me up, and for my dad. The food money came out of my grocery budget. My biggest expense was boarding the dogs. Still, it was an affordable and memorable trip. I just love to travel!        

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like a wonderful trip. Once in a while we all need to recharge our batteries. Nothing like an affordable trip filled with fun and new experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it really gave me a new perspective. The scenery was exhilarating.

    ReplyDelete