Friday, July 14, 2017

Knitting and Crocheting Like Mad





Yesterday I received an order in my Etsy shop for an alpaca throw and a pair of cotton crocheted pot holders. I always feel excited when I get an Etsy order. July is a hot month, so the last thing I expected was to sell an alpaca blanket! It's been over one hundred degrees here! I am thrilled, though. Years ago, I made each of my parents one of these, and they were very well received. They are so soft and warm. I wish every person over fifty could have one. They are so cozy in the cold weather. I even took mine with me on the train and used it in the sleeper car when I traveled from Los Angeles to Oregon. They are light weight and easy to pack.


Once I saw the order, I went on line to see if I could find a good price on the yarn. Alpaca is normally very expensive. Retail price is usually $20.00 a skein. I did some research, and found what I needed on clearance at Webs. They had four skeins left of the dark green. I needed three. Perfect! I emailed the customer to check on the shade of the color, and she was happy with it. It's amazing what we can do on line these days. I went ahead and placed my order.


I didn't have any more of the kitchen cotton yarn that she chose. I had used up the last bits. So, I drove down to Beverly's and tried to find it there. Our store is going out of business, and they only had one lone skein remaining on the shelves. I needed two. I drove a bit further to Walmart, and bought a large cone of it for $7.97. Every dollar counts when you are selling hand knits. I also make the pot holders in pastels and other colors, but my customers seem to like the oatmeal with the little flecks of color. That's something I didn't expect. Now I have plenty.

I'm excited to get started on the throw. I knit this pattern on very large needles, and the work goes quickly. It's a joy to knit with alpaca yarn. It's so luxurious. I am almost finished with the pot holders, and will work on my cotton cardigan later this afternoon.  I'm doing the first sleeve now, and am a little concerned that I may run out of yarn. There is a little over one skein left, and one and a half sleeves still to do. I'm crossing my fingers. I know you are supposed to buy and extra skein for good measure when you make a sweater, but I didn't.Fortunately our local yarn shop still has the yarn if I need it.


As my dad has told me, "It's always a good feeling to make a sale." It's true. I was flying high when I clicked over to my Etsy shop, and saw that little flag up on Shop Manager. This was almost a $200.00 order, so it's an exciting day here at Pink Cottage Soaps! How is your day going?  

6 comments:

  1. Your post made me smile. I could almost feel your excitement and happiness. So bouncy and happy - just perfect.
    The Alpaca blanket sounds so cosy. Actually the first thing I noticed was your photo at the top. I could see myself curled up all snug and warm in that corner.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kylie, I was just thinking about you. Thank you for your help with the photos. This size is so much better, hmm? Yes, that's the knitting corner. Thank you for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your home looks so cozy Stephenie. Kylie is right, that corner is so inviting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Nil. I love vintage furniture and antiques. They go well with hand knits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you are going to be busy. I'm visualizing you doing the happy dance. I've been reading good things about I Love Cotton yarn at Hobby Lobby. Soft and easy to work with. I'm going to check it out. I was finally able to log in to comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Barbara, I'm glad you figured out how to log in to leave a comment. It took me years! I haven't tried the I Love Cotton yarn. We have a new Hobby Lobby here, so I'll have to check it out. Happy knitting!

    ReplyDelete