Tuesday, July 18, 2017

100% Coconut Oil Soap Recipe


24 oz. coconut oil  (680.389 grams)
3.5 oz. lye             (99.223 grams)
9 oz. distilled water (255.146 grams)
.8 oz. fragrance oil  (22.68 grams)

Melt coconut oil. Let it sit and cool while mixing the lye into the water. Leave lye/water mixture to cool down for twenty minutes. Mix lye/water mixture into coconut oil. Blend with your stick blender. It will come to trace quickly. If using any fragrance oil and/or color, add it now. Follow the manufacturer's instructions for adding the color.  I use I use 1/2 tsp. of Brazilian rose clay for this recipe.  (for swirling or two layers, as shown above) For a solid color, I would add more, depending on the shade that you want..


Pour into your molds. This recipe makes a small batch, and it hardens very quickly. You can usually unmold it after about six hours. Some people leave it overnight. It still needs to cure for four to six weeks. Three months is ideal for a mild, soothing bar.

You always want to follow all the safety precautions soap makers use when working with lye. I wear long sleeves and pants, leather shoes, rubber gloves, an apron, and goggles. Good ventilation in the kitchen is important. I open the windows, doors, and put on the ceiling fans. The dogs stay outside, or in the bedroom.  You need to be able to focus and concentrate, without any interruptions.


For cleaning  up, I turn my water heater up to the high setting and wash my tools with soapy water. This way everything is sterilized. It works very well. I wash all the dishes right after I finish making the soap. Be sure to keep your gloves on, and put any dish rags in the washing machine after use. You don't want to get any raw soap on your hands or skin. It's caustic, and it burns.

This recipe has a 20% superfat. That's why it doesn't dry out the skin. Normally, you don't want to use too much coconut oil when making soap,  for that reason. Most of the soaps that I make have a superfat of 5%. This one breaks the rules. It's fabulous! It has a very white color, like a candle.  Please let me know how you like it.  

4 comments:

  1. I think it's funny when I use soap to wash my soap things - I usually make hot process though 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Lady Locust, I know what you mean. I've made hot proccesed goat's milk soap. It's lovely. It has such a rustic, farmhouse kind of look. I would love to see photos of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never made soap and I think this is a good recipe to start. Thanks Stephenie.
    If I don't want fragrance oil, can I simply omit it, or do I have to adjust the amounts of other ingredients?

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Nil, Yes, you would just make the recipe as written, and omit the fragrance oil. It will make a nice, white, unscented soap. This recipe you have to get into the molds quickly. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete