Thursday, July 27, 2017

Crocheting a Baby Blanket


Today I started crocheting a baby blanket for my Etsy shop. I was given the yarn by a knitter who said that she wasn't going to use it. It's powder blue, and it's a huge ball. I wound it by hand this afternoon. It took me quite a while. I was glad I did, because towards the end of the skein, the yarn was tangled. I had to carefully weave in and out repeatedly to keep from cutting the yarn. It's nice to know that I won't run into problems while using it. This is why I never work from an unwound skein or hank.



I'm using a pattern that I found on a simple living forum with a link to a blog. It's a real nice one. It's easy to memorize, and has a nice rhythm. It has single crochets, half double crochets, and double crochets. I like the look and feel of it. Crocheting has always relaxed me. I feel like it's looser, and easier, than knitting. It brings out a different side of my personality. It makes me feel calm and  laid back, (which I'm generally not.)



I watered the plants this morning, washed my sheets, and made an appointment to have my car window fixed. This is my first car with electric windows, and this is the second time I've had to replace one. It gets expensive. It will feel good to get it done, though.  I don't like having things broken or in need of repair. It's depressing.



I almost finished knitting my cotton sweater yesterday, and then ran out of yarn. I only have about seven rows left, but will have to buy an extra skein. At least the yarn shop is near my cottage, and they have the same dye lot in stock. I guess that's why knitters advise buying an extra skein of yarn when you knit a sweater. Once I finish the pieces, I can block them, and then sew the sweater together. How is your knitting coming along?      

4 comments:

  1. Perfect example how taking the time in the beginning to prepare properly saves you from running into problems,
    I hope your car is fixed soon. I also don't like having things broken and have them repaired and maintained. You have that appointment now which is good.
    I'm cross stitching at the moment. My knitting skills are very basic and dishcloths are my favourite.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think so, too, Kylie. So many times I've found that the inside of the ball of yarn is twisted or knotted. The car is being fixed this morning. I'm glad to hear you are cross stitching. I've never done that; it's beautiful. It looks so vintage and old fashioned. I love knitting dishcloths, too. They are great practice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so good at knitting. Soon I'm going to try both knitting and soap making.
    I'm glad you are getting the car window fixed. Is it hot in CA this time of the year? Here it is very hot and humid, it's very difficult to drive without AC.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nil, Thank you. I LOVE knitting. (and soap making.) Yes, it is very hot in California this time of year. I try not to drive the car when it's too hot. I learned that from my mechanic. Fortunately, I work from home.

    ReplyDelete