Monday, July 10, 2017

Vintage Appliances: Built to Last


I love vintage appliances. For years, I had hoped to find an O'Keefe and Merritt gas stove for my 1940's style cottage. When I moved here, the kitchen had a Magic Chef model from the 1960's. It was a reliable stove, but I still fantasized about finding a Wedgewood, or one of the other varieties that I loved.  I found the one I wanted several years ago in the Recycler. It was listed at $180.00, and it needed a new thermostat. I jumped on the opportunity and called the name listed.

The man who answered the phone told me that he could deliver it to my home, and that he wanted cash.  I asked him why he was selling it. He explained that he had just lost his job, and that he and his wife didn't have any money for groceries. This was their outside stove. They also had an outside refrigerator. Their inside appliances worked fine. He said had told his wife that they didn't need either for bbqing, and that they were going to have to sell the refrigerator, too. This was when the economy had just tanked, and many people were strapped for cash.

 He drove up in a brand new car, and I knew from his address that they lived in a recently built, expensive home in the highest priced area of town. I thought about the irony of it. Often people who look like they have a lot of money really don't. They have a high income,  and a lot of nice stuff. If they lose their job, however, things can quickly deteriorate. He was really nice, had wrapped the stove lovingly and carefully, and I was happy to help him. I was also ecstatic to finally have this treasure! I donated my old one to the Salvation Army. The man who picked it up told me that it would probably sell in one day. It was a nice feeling. I hoped it would go to a single mom, or to someone else in need. 



I was pleased with my good fortune. I found a repairman from Russia who brought the stove up to code, and replaced the thermostat for me. He took it from twelve pilot lights down to two. It now works beautifully. I absolutely love it, and get so many compliments on it. My mother bought herself a Viking, but after she saw photos of mine, she confided to me that she wished she had one, too. Her brand new stove kept breaking. The man who fixed mine told me that it would last forever. It's so well built. The inside of the drawers and doors are speckled. It's got such a period look.

The pink refrigerator I ordered from The Big Chill. It's a reproduction. I did a lot of research, and settled on their company. They use a Whirlpool model, and cover it with the old Frigidaire style. It's really a fun piece. It's been excellent, too. I haven't had any problems with it. They are very popular with celebrities who put them in the older homes in Hollywood Hills. I have the studio model, which is smaller than a standard size fridge.



My washer is a thirty year old Kenmore. My mother had one when we were growing up, and she raved about it. I got this and the dryer second hand, too. I think I paid $100.00 for the set. It is such a workhorse! I only do two loads of laundry a week. Most of the time I dry my clothes outside in the sun, on a clothesline. I might use the dryer a few times a year, if it is raining.

Many of the appliances people buy today only last about five years. They are also very expensive. I love my old ones. They are so reliable and dependable, and they fit into the style of my vintage cottage. Do you have any older appliances? How do you like yours?    

6 comments:

  1. I love your vintage appliances. It's true that they last longer than newer versions and my dad used to say those were also easier to repair.
    My appliances came with the house and still work fine. They are about 10 years old , nothing fancy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your dad, Nil. I've only had to service the washing machine once, and it's thirty years old!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had to replace our oven a few years ago and the electrician who installed our new one couldn't believe how old our old oven was. It was about ten years old which to me wasn't that old surely. Apparently that is unheard of these days. He said they're only built to last a maximum of five years. We do look after our appliances so I guess that helps but I would expect them to last a lot longer.
    The only old appliance I have is my Nan's small handheld electric mixer. It still works and I use it a number of times each week. It just keeps going and I think of her every time I use it.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kylie, Five years, what a shame. My mom said the same thing. Imagine all of those ovens in the landfills! I have an older hand mixer, too. I bought it twenty years ago. Glad to hear your Nan's is still going strong.

      Delete
  4. Wow, I love love love your appliances. That is such a good idea to make the outside look old but keep the inside the same. They would make any kitchen look great I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katrins. I just love vintage kitchens. They make me smile.

      Delete