Monday, July 3, 2017

Soapmaking: In the Pot Swirl with Brazilian Clay


This morning  I made a batch of Olive Oil soap using the in the pot swirl method with Brazilian clay. I tried out my new silicone loaf pan that I ordered from Brambleberry last month. I used a tried and true recipe that I got on Rhonda Hetzel's blog, Down To Earth. It makes a lovely olive oil soap. I received the sample packets of Brazilian clay that I ordered last month. I have worked with the rose colored clay before, in a few batches of soap that I made with different techniques. This time I used a thin trace, and added just the purple clay. I don't care for too many colors in my soap. I prefer something more subtle. I like the marbled effect of just one shade. The clays are nice, because they are muted. They add just enough of an accent without being overwhelming.


I got up early this morning and took advantage of the cool atmosphere. I hopped on the 7:30 a.m. bus with my bike on the bike rack. The bus driver accidentally drove past my stop, where the bike path begins. She apologized profusely. "Don't worry," I assured her, "I'm just going for a bike ride. " She acted like she was afraid I was going to report her. I told her it was fine, that I forget things, too.  It felt great to be out in the early morning air, exercising. There were several other people my age on the bike path, walking and riding. I find I'm in a much better mood if I start my day with exercise. Everyone else on the trail seemed friendly and upbeat. I like to be around morning people. They have my kind of energy.


The dogs were confused, because I normally walk them before going anywhere. They acted like they needed to hurry up. I explained to them that I'd give them a walk when I came home, which I did. There's nothing like the vibe of endorphins circulating through the body. I watered my plants, and then put on my soap making gear.



Everything went well. I scented this batch with Energy, which has a nice fruity fragrance that my customers love. The swirl method was fun. I watched the Soap Queen's video for a reminder. The lady demonstrating used three colors, but I prefer just one. Less is more, in my opinion. I had some leftover batter, so I mixed the purple clay into it and poured it into some individual silicone molds that are a simple oval shape. I'm looking forward to seeing the difference in the ones that have the swirl, compared to the solid colored ones. I've really been enjoying using the soap I made this way with the rose clay. It looks so pretty, especially when it's wet. It's very natural and the color is striking. I just love making soap. How about you?

4 comments:

  1. I'm right there with you on getting up and doing. We tend to wake about 4:30-5AM. I love it! Oh doesn't a nice batch of soap brighten the day? No matter how many times I make it, I love getting to cut into a new batch making pretty little bars😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great, Lady Locust. Yes, it is exciting. I can't wait to see this new color. It looks a little brown in the photo, but I'm hoping the purple will pop after it has gelled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there!

    I'm so glad you left a comment for me on my blog. It's nice to "meet" you!

    I've never tried making soap, but yours is beautiful. I agree with less is more on the color choice. I think some people get a little carried away.

    I started getting up early about a year ago and it feels so much better than sleeping in :)

    Anyway, thank you for your kind words :)

    rue

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rue, I just love your cottage and blog. I shared it on Facebook. Thank you for leaving a comment. It's nice to "meet" you, too! I chuckled when I read what you said about some people getting a little carried away with color. That's just not my style, but it is popular.

    ReplyDelete