Thursday, July 6, 2017

Cutting and Bagging Your Soap



Yesterday I cut the loaf of purple marbled soap into thick slices. At first I had trouble getting it out of the new silicone mold, so I put it in the freezer. That did the trick. It popped out nicely, but the color wasn't quite as purple I had envisioned. I used some purple Brazilian clay that I ordered in a sample color pack from Brambleberry. Oh well. "Win a few, lose a few," as my aunt used to say. At least it is good quality soap.  The slabs are very thick and heavy. They'll last a long time. The scent I used was Energy. It always makes a fresh, fruity jasmine scent. Customers rave about it. I like it, too.



I bagged some sheer pink colored Shea Butter soaps that had been curing for the past eight weeks on the racks. I scented this batch with lavender. They came out nicely. I like the simple molds. They fit well in your hand. I used a half teaspoon of Brambleberry's rose clay in this batch. The color is barely there, but pretty. It reminds me of the pink tights that I used to wear for ballet. I love how shea butter soap feels on the skin. It makes a nice hard bar, too. I followed Anne L. Watson's recipe, from her book,  Smart Soapmaking. It's a fabulous soap!



The early morning bike rides are going well. I already really see and feel a difference in my thigh muscles.  I've also been doing the basic physical therapy exercises that I learned in the hospital, after having my hips replaced. I think it's a good combination. I can feel the muscles in the backs of the thighs working as I'm riding along the bike paths. The quads get used, too. I used to work my legs all day long, when I was a professional dancer. I feel so much better when those muscles are toned. They were getting soft, and it bothered me.



 This is the overpass on McBean Parkway. I don't have to wait for the light to change, in order to cross the street. It keeps me out of traffic; I just ride over it. Today I  followed a new bike path and let it lead me to a surprise location. When I reached the end, I was near my credit union. That was unexpected ; I have a terrible sense of direction. I thought I was about ten miles in the opposite direction. It's a good thing the bike paths are well marked. I'm learning my way, and getting them all memorized. It's fun to go different places. The bus intersects with all of them.



The bus driver told me that he almost didn't see me at the bus stop today. I was wearing green, and he commented that I blended in with the environment. It's a good thing I waved. In this heat, I don't want to miss the bus. Ours don't run that often, so I get there early. This morning I made some bone broth for myself and the dogs. I put it on the stove at 5:00 a.m. It's too hot to cook now. For lunch I made a sandwich with whole grain bread, leftover chicken breast, cheddar cheese, and fresh tomatoes. I love sitting on the porch with my dogs and enjoying a second cup of coffee. Something about drinking it after a  cardio workout makes it more pleasurable. I look forward to it. I'm going to catch up on my knitting and do some housekeeping this afternoon. What are you doing today?            

No comments:

Post a Comment