Wednesday, July 5, 2017

A Productive Morning


This morning I got up early and made a cafe au lait, like I always do. I fed the dogs their treats, gave them breakfast, and wrote in my journal. I hopped on my bike and rode the quick two blocks to the bus stop. The 7:00 a.m. bus arrived on time, and I loaded my bike on the bike rack. I easily found a seat, since I am only  the second stop on the route.

I tried a new bike path today. This one is called the San Francisquito Trail. It was well traveled, even at that hour of the morning. Years ago, it seemed like I was the only one using the bike paths. At that time I  commuted by bus and  bicycle to my dance studio.  This morning, I was pleased to see so many people my age out riding their bikes. Some were solo, others were in couples or small groups. I'm finding that bike riding is great for the endorphins. I used to always take a morning ballet class when I was a professional dancer. I miss that routine. It puts you in a great head space, and your muscles feel primed.  This is becoming an excellent substitute. I really like using the bike paths, because they are away from traffic. I live off of a busy highway, so I don't ride my bike on that stretch. I had a bike accident on it a few years ago, so I feel safer now taking the bus.



After making an exhilarating loop, I coasted down the shady path and headed toward the bus stop. I saw that there were still  fifteen minutes left before the bus was due to arrive, so I made one more circle. I found some cute little spots where I would like to stop in the future. There's a juice bar, a Soup Plantation, and a Nestle Toll House Cafe. I made a note to call one of my knitting friends, and ask her if she wants to meet there sometime to knit and chat. It's a trendy area, with lots of high end shops, a movie theater, and large, mature shade trees. It would be an ideal place to sit outside for a meal. It reminds me of Europe.


After arriving home, I ran Lana on the Walkydog and walked Carlie. I hopped into my 2002 Beetle, and set out to do my errands by car. I like to combine them into one trip. That way I can save on both the gas and wear and tear on my car. I went to the feed store and bought some Missing Link. Last night one of my neighbors, (who is a dog trainer,) advised me to try it for Lana's blisters on her belly. She's been on antibiotics and I've changed her food, but she's still getting them. I picked up a package of the variety for their skin and coat, and then went to Costco. I had my list with me. I hate it when I forget things when grocery shopping. I picked up all the items that I had written out, and then stopped at the drug store. I bought the mouth rinses that I use, and then headed to the mail center to renew my bus pass. Since I've been enjoying bicycling so much lately, I decided to try going every morning. It's really made a huge difference in my mental emotional health. Instead of getting down about what's happening on the news, I am feeling energized and motivated. Each day I focus on pursuing my goals. I am always amazed at how much better I feel after a good workout. The endorphins are flowing, and I feel more like my younger self. It's easy to slip into negative thinking as you get older. By getting out early, I feel much  more vital and youthful. It's such a simple shift. It's also easier to maintain a positive attitude for the rest of the day.  

I drove back home and put all of my purchases away. It was a great feeling to have everything ticked off of the shopping list, especially so early in the day. I beat the heat, and didn't drive the car when it was too hot. My mechanic told me that he doesn't drive his car when the temperature is in the high digits.. I've always remembered that; I used to have countless car problems when commuting to Santa Monica. I taught a lot of dance classes there when I was in my thirties and forties. The summers were sweltering. Now that I work from home, I can plan my trips. I'm excited to have a new bus pass, and to be "car light" again. Do you use public transportation? How is the bus or train system in your area?   

4 comments:

  1. Oh you are so lucky to have a reliable public transportation. Not so in the area I live. I always try to combine errands so I don't have to drive a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are lucky. The train station is close, too. Combining errands really helps. It saves on gas money.

      Delete
  2. So I'm slightly jealous that you can plan and have a single trip "to town." Okay, really jealous. . .yea, alright just paint me green and call me envy:-) Our public transit doesn't serve outlying areas, essentially just town. We are pretty rural. I do enjoy a good bike ride though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rural has it's own beauty. I am lucky that I live so close to the bus stop. Most people here don't use it. Cars are the norm. I love a nice bike ride, too.

    ReplyDelete