Saturday, July 15, 2017

A Walk Through the Garden

This morning while watering my fruit trees and flowers, I took a leisurely stroll through the garden. The weather was still cool, and it was rewarding to check on the progress of  the fruit. We wait all year for the it to ripen, hoping that nothing goes wrong. My goal is to have something ready to harvest and to eat each month. I'm not there yet, but am working on it.


The pomegranates are forming well. They look like they will be a bit bigger this year. I hope so. Usually they are sweet, but fairly small. I'm not sure why. Maybe I should thin the fruit. It's an enormous bush. I planted it twenty years ago, after buying it as a small plant from the nursery. I love how majestic it has become. It loves the expansive space. The red blossoms attract hummingbirds and monarch butterflies.



This little lime tree is finally bearing fruit. I'm so excited. This is the first year that the fruit hasn't been eaten  by grasshoppers. They used to devour the tiny balls each Spring. It's still a very small tree, but in time it will grow and spread. Citrus make just beautiful privacy plants. I love the year round greenery that they provide. Orioles, with their bright yellow and orange breasts, love them, too.


This blood orange tree was given to me two decades ago for Easter, by a friend. It's really come a long way. It took many years for it to look healthy and strong. I mulch it heavily with leaves and straw, which it seems to like. These oranges have a beautiful color once they are ripe. They are red inside; with a marbled orange/crimson color. They are part grapefruit, and make a delicious gourmet sorbet.



The navel orange tree has some fruit, too. I think this one must be a dwarf. It's smaller than the other trees, but the oranges that  it produces are to die for! They are the sweetest and most delicious ones that I have ever tasted. I love snacking on  them,  fresh off of the tree. The peels make a wonderful  and non toxic citrus cleanser.



Carlie is taking a nice snooze on the shady front porch while I am blogging. The animals really seem to appreciate and take advantage of the garden. It seems like they feel the healing energy from being outside in nature, just like we do. What do you think?        

6 comments:

  1. I just typed a comment on my iPad and I think I lost it.
    I'll try again. I have seen Blood Oranges however never tried them. I will next time though.
    I also received my first ever citrus tree this year from my family, A Dwarf Lemon Tree. Now fingers crossed I can keep it alive and maybe one day I'll see some lovely lemons.
    Carlie has the right idea. Taking it all in.
    Beautiful photos too. Your garden looks so healthy.
    Enjoy.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kylie, How nice that you were given a lemon tree. I think fruit trees are such thoughtful gifts. Citrus trees live for such a long time! Thank you for the comment and for the compliment on the garden. Carlie does love to soak in the vibes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello AwakenedSoul,

    I read the posts on the simple living forum and you are one of my favorite poster. You and MrsM. I wanted to actually become a member just to tell you that I enjoy your posts and now I see that you have a blog! Thanks!

    Rose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rose, Well aren't you sweet! I really appreciate your thoughtfulness. You just made my day. I loved Mrs. M., too. Hope to see you here. Thanks for finding me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello again AwakenedSoul,

    You are one of my favorite *posters* I mean.

    I love reading about your frugal ways, the food you make, your cottage, garden...everything! I'm going to start reading your blog from the beginning and work my way up.

    Have a light filled day. :)

    Rose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rose, I knew what you meant. Thank you for letting me know. I will have to write some food posts here. It's been so hot, I haven't been doing much cooking. I'm off to do the grocery shopping now. So pleased to hear that you are enjoying the blog. Thanks for commenting...

      Delete