Thursday, July 20, 2017

Winding Your Yarn Into a Ball The Old Fashioned Way

Yesterday the alpaca yarn  arrived. How exciting! I'm using it to knit a  throw for an Etsy customer. The first thing I do when starting a knitting project is to ball the yarn. I learned this technique from my neighbor, Mrs. Hutchinson.  I was nine years old at the time, and. she lived up the street from us, on Barneson Avenue. Mrs. H.  was a wonderful  homemaker. I went over to her house every afternoon for a visit. She taught me how to knit, do crewel work, sew on a button, and to weave. She was always busy in her home: baking, harvesting fresh raspberries or home grown chard, cooking delicious smelling meals, and cleaning her house. She was an avid weaver, and had a huge loom that she used daily in her family room. I loved her company. She called me her adopted grandaughter. This is us, in the photo below.




In the olden days, one person would hold a skein of yarn between their hands, while the other person would wrap it into a ball. Since I live on my own, I utilize  a vintage chair that I bought at the Salvation Army. It works very well. First I cut the pieces of yarn that hold the skein together. It always makes me nervous that I'm going to cut the wrong section, but I just study the yarn carefully. I find the segments that  have knots in them. I carefully clip those, and then start to make the ball.


Once I have completed the ball of yarn, I start knitting. I like this ritual. You can make sure there aren't any knots of problems before  starting your new project. It feels like an ancient practice to me. This is the way people used to prepare to knit. Nowadays, many knitters have their yarn wound for them into beautiful cakes at the yarn shops. Some crafters even have their own swifters at home. Maybe someday I will buy one, but for now I like doing it Mrs. Hutchinson's way. I think she would be pleased that I am still knitting.    

9 comments:

  1. Such lovely memories you have. Mrs. Hurchinson would certainly be touched knowing you have such fond memories and still wind your yarn her way. Hold onto those memories, they're special.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kylie. That photo really shows how kind she was. She was so pretty, too. I love her orange dress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautiful to honor Mrs. Hurchinson this way. I don't knit or sew but I sure would like to learn and I think I will...at some point. I love everything to do with taking care of the house, gardening, cooking, etc. I will add these seemingly yesteryear skills to my list of things to learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful that you enjoy homemaking. So do I. It makes such a difference to walk into a house that is well cared for and loved. I think you will enjoy knitting. It's very therapeutic. Thank you for the comment.

      Delete
  4. *Hutchinson* I mean...:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI Nil, yes, she was lots of fun. She was so enthusiastic about homemaking. She set such a good example.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I forgot to say that I noticed on the other forum that you seemed to eat a sensible and balanced diet--everything in moderation rather than following food fads. This sensible diet feels like a 1950's diet! I like the Oslo meal from the war days---a couple of slices of whole wheat bread, some raw vegetables, some cheese and juice or milk...so wholesome and little cooking. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I do like to eat everything in moderation. I love the 1950's, too. People seemed to be in much better shape in those days. Your Oslo meal is how I usually eat during the hot weather. That type of meal is healthy and filling.

    ReplyDelete