Thursday, July 13, 2017

A Day at Home




This morning I just didn't have the gumption to get up at 4:00 a.m. and charge out the door for my 6:00 a.m. bike ride, so I didn't. I stayed home. It was kind of nice just to relax on my couch, write in my journal, and enjoy a couple of cups of French Roast coffee. I didn't feel so rushed and pressured to hurry out and catch that bus. After watering the flowers, I made a batch of guacamole  It tasted delicious on a homemade quesadilla that I cooked in my vintage toaster oven. I love the flavors of the fresh onion, garlic, cilantro, lime, and salt. They mix so well with the fresh avocado.

I finished my socks. A fellow blogger had written a post about knitting the kitchener stitch, so I watched the Youtube video for that, and digested it. It looks interesting, and very effective. Many people have trouble with the kitchener stitch, but I don't. I like it. I love hand sewing, though. A lot of knitters don't. I'm not sure why. In fact, a lot of knitters seem to actually hate hand sewing, so much so that they won't sew the squares of a blanket or the pieces of a sweater together, for years.  Knitters are a passionate and opinionated bunch.  I used to have trouble remembering kitchener stitch, so I wrote out a cheat sheet on the bottom corner of my sock pattern. All I have to do is glance at it, and the technique comes back to my memory. I'm the kind of person who has to write things down in order to learn them. That's how I memorize. If I don't put it on paper, what I've seen just evaporates from my mind.

I sewed in the ends on the socks, and blocked them. My tension has gotten really loose. I think it's because I've been working on the tiny circular needles. I may have to go down to a size 0, or switch back to dpn's. Oh well. They fit. I'll have to find someone who wears a size 9 shoe to gift them to for Christmas. I don't know who on Earth is going to like these colors, but that's what I thought about the bright orange ones, and I found a taker. I don't think I'll buy any more grab bags of yarn. It's not a bargain if you don't like the colors, and I never would have chosen these two.





I realized today that I feel like  I am getting a bit overwhelmed with technology. It's like I'm trying to keep in touch with way too many people. I always used to feel like I was very neat and organized. Now I don't. I seem to be getting messier as I'm getting older. I don't like it. My mother always kept her house in a perfect state. She was so good at it. I think if I spent less time on line, I would have more time and energy to do the mundane tasks in the home, like mopping the floors. Oh well. The laundry is done, the sheets are clean, and the daily broth  and vegetables are made.I just received a big Etsy order, which I am excited about knitting. I  made a quick run out to the store to pick up some more kitchen cotton yarn. 



This is a photo of my mom. Her house was always spotless, and she almost never misplaced anything. My goal is to be more like her.

4 comments:

  1. I used to be a neat freak and now I think I'm a bit better. Still , if things are messy it stresses me out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way, Nil. A neat and tidy home calms me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother keeps an immaculate home, I keep a clean one. I remember the hours upon hours she spent cleaning things, that were not actually dirty.

    One one hand I completly understand it, I too feel calmer and more relaxed in a clean and neat space. But on the other hand I dont think it hurts to relax a little, and be in the moment with those around us. To ignore the floors and the dusting to go out for a bushwalk, invite friends even when things are "lived in". But we are in different seasons of life of course and it is much simpler (and more rewarding as it actually lasts!) to tidy up after yourself. If it was just me in the house, no doubt my cleaning standards would be much higher and my home better kept too! :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Emma, Well said. I just cleaned the cottage really well, and now I'm going to relax and enjoy it. I'm going to find some sort of middle ground. It just feels so much healthier and more respectful to me to have it clean. It doesn't have to be perfect, but I'm breathing a sigh of relief. I love what you wrote, thank you.

    ReplyDelete