Friday, June 16, 2017

Staying Creative



As an artist, I have spent my entire life being creative. When I was a little girl I would make up dances. I loved to pretend that I was a professional dancer. I would watch the Rockettes on television, and dream of dancing in the line with them. The whole idea swept me into a place of tremendous anticipation and excitement. I would stand next to the television and try to follow their steps. I loved the music and the tap dancing. I just knew that was something that I wanted to do someday. It felt like my destiny.

Now that I'm older, I stay creative by cooking, gardening, making soap, and redesigning knitting patterns. It feels wonderful to make things. There's something about getting your talents out into the world that is satisfying. Writing is also a wonderful and free way to express the creative life force. Just recording your thoughts and feelings  in a journal is therapeutic. I often go back and reread my journals from the past. It is so eye opening. We really change and grow as we age. It's interesting to see your perspective on problems a few years after writing about them. One thing that really stood out to me when I read my old journals was that I was riddled with self doubt. Things always worked out, and I learned to trust myself and my gut. The body knows the truth. As the saying goes, "The body never lies."



Once I began writing again, I felt a real surge of  inner electricity.  After my hips were replaced, it was a low time, emotionally. I knew that I probably couldn't dance anymore, and I needed to find something that was fulfilling as a career. Writing gives me that jazzed up feeling. It's exciting, fun, and energizing. We all need something that fills us with happiness and excitement. Often it's something that we loved to do when we were about nine years old.





Our sexuality is directly linked to our creativity. When we aren't creative, we can become depressed. Creativity needs to be expressed. When it's repressed, the body can have problems. Children are naturally creative. They love to sing, dance, and act out stories. They don't worry about making money. They just do it for the pure joy and expression.

When I needed to have my hips replaced my libido dropped severely. I was in a relationship, and wondered if my body was just aging. Was this what happened at menopause? I was shocked. Once my hips healed, I was able to resume my favorite exercise routines and hobbies. My libido returned. I think that there is a direct link between sexual health and general health. When your body is struggling with osteoarthritis, like mine was, it takes all of the energy you have just to do basic household tasks. I found I didn't have any energy leftover. My sex drive had faded. Once I healed and was engaged in life fully again, my energy and enthusiasm returned. People worry a great deal when they are sick. Worry and fear really zap the creative juices. Joy and pleasure replenish them.           

No comments:

Post a Comment