Sunday, July 24, 2022

A Bear Has Been Visiting

 


This morning as I was drinking my coffee,  I looked over the security footage from my cameras.   I noticed several paper plates piled in my parking area, and decided to reverse the tape.  I thought someone had littered as they drove by...no.  As I studied the playback, a very large bear came ambling into the area where I get in and out of my vehicle every day.  

He carried a bag of trash in his mouth from one of the neighbor's homes.   I don't keep any outside garbage in Wrightwood, for this reason.  He tore open the plastic, and started to munch.  As you can see, he is very large and healthy.

A car drove past and turned around at the end of our cul de sac.  The lights from the vehicle seemed to make him nervous.  He left the remnants and ambled down towards my cabin.


I think he's kind of funny.  I had just watered those roses early in the morning.  I have made an effort to keep my land very natural and pleasant for the wildlife.  I didn't realize how much use it was getting.  Bears eat grasses and berries.  They also like acorns, (which are plentiful on my land,) and they will eat bugs and predator animals.  This was an amazing surprise.

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please reply in English.  I'm sorry, but posts with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the material here, please share it.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.

12 comments:

  1. Wow! He brought his would be dinner to have a picnic on your land! You might want to bring your security camera footage to the attention of your immediate neighbors so they know not to keep their trash outside. A bear is not something one would want to encounter, unexpectedly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he did, Bless. The neighbors are aware, but unfortunately outside trash cans attract them. It would be best to only put out garbage on trash day.

      Delete
  2. Oh, wow. We don't have bears over here - are they dangerous to have around? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bear where we live seem pretty peaceful, but they can be dangerous and deadly. They are magnificent animals, but I watch them from inside or on camera.

      Delete
  3. Wow, the nearest I'll ever come to a bear would be a zoo. That is fascinating but more than a little scary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same with me until moving to the mountains, Cherie. They are beautiful animals. I love seeing them in the forest. This was just a little close for comfort.

      Delete
  4. I have never seen a bear outside of the zoo. He is very majestic! You are smart to keep your trash away as bears will return to the places where they know they can find food easily. It is a real problem in Yosemite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes he is, Anita. I have read about all of the bear issues that hikers and campers have. I don't him to think of this as a picnic spot. Hopefully he will just pass through and forage for his own food. I have native berries that humans don't eat, lots of small animals, bugs under the logs, etc. He seemed to shy away from people when he saw the car's headlights.

      Delete
  5. Oh my gosh! How scary is that! I wouldn't want to meet him outside the cabin. Did the dogs hear him I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, PP. Yes. Lula has been barking at around the same time that he was there. I put her away from the window, up in my bedroom. It's fine with me that he is outside the cabin, the wildlife use my land as a corridor from the Angeles National Forest. I just don't want him becoming dependent on people's trash and to see my parking spots as his.

      Delete
  6. Oh wow! And I was getting excited about a hedgehog in my garden. X

    ReplyDelete