Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Your Lifestyle in Retirement

 


I have been surprised at how different my daily routine is in my late fifties, compared to when I was a busy dancer in show business, and later, as an enthusiastic dance and yoga teacher.  Work was my life.  I thought I would be teaching students donned in a leotard and tights into my late seventies.  


How wrong I was.  Two replaced hips later, that chapter is in my past.  Fast forward to now: I never dreamed that I would be traveling as much as I do, enjoying cruises and hotels, and spending a large amount of my time taking care of my investments.  A great deal of my energy goes into the home: scheduling repairs, cleaning, cooking and food shopping.  Those things I took for granted as a young artist, but now I find they take more energy.  They are still my foundation and a top priority.  My mother always taught me to take care of my house and animals, and my father kept a close eye on his stocks.  


The trees and garden are very dear to me, and keeping up on both is on the schedule at least three times a week.  My neighbor told me that before I bought the cabin, he would look up at my land and saw that the pines and oaks were turning yellow.  A huge number of those sick trees had to be removed, due to a bark beetle.  "Now the trees are green," he mused.  That gave me a relieved feeling of satisfaction.  I sense that they like the extra space, the natural layer of mulch, and the consistent watering schedule.  Also, they know that they are my babies.  The wildlife greatly enjoy and use this corridor, as well.  I keep it as natural as possible.  

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please communicate in English.  I'm sorry, but replies with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.



9 comments:

  1. It sounds like you are enjoying your retirement, Stephenie, and keeping yourself busy! The mature trees on your property look great and well cared for. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bless. Yes, life is very busy and pleasant. The trees give off a magnificent vibe of healing.

      Delete
  2. I thought that I'd be teaching yoga till the end of my life. I still do teach, however, it's for a few friends. I now have no desire to keep going ad infinitum. Life changes. Your present life sounds wonderful. I love the way that you prepared for it, and maintain not only your life, but your home and garden, the trees... everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life does change, ratnamurti. I think as you pointed out, preparation is key.

      Delete
  3. Life is like the weather... ever changing. It's lovely to be financially secure at my stage of life but I learned to take nothing for granted as it can all change in the blink of an eye can't it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true, Cherie. I try to make the most of each opportunity. Financial security really changes one's perspective. Health is key, as well.

      Delete
  4. Having nice things and a wonderful life does take some effort. And if you enjoy the effort required, your life will be complete. At least that is my theory of how to have a good existence. I love retirement! And, like you, I love to travel to beautiful places. I do love to be pampered once in a while. I've earned it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it, too, Anita. Traveling to gorgeous places is such a thrill. So glad to hear that you are enjoying your retirement.

      Delete
  5. Never take the joy of
    life for granted. My husband has metastatic prostate cancer. The NHS here is doing its best, but has been too poorly funded for too long. The ground breaking treatment is only available in the US, so we’re selling our much loved family home and
    moving Stateside for treatment
    We have cared for our home
    And it is now potentially giving my husband more time
    We sold to the first person to view. At well over asking price.
    Mary


    ReplyDelete