Sunday, November 20, 2022

Beautiful Snow and Inexpensive Home Cooked Meals

 


The three Blue Spruce trees that my tree trimmers helped me plant and doing very well.  I think that this one looks lovely flocked with fresh snow.  I may decorate it for Christmas.  It will be exciting to watch them grow and mature. 



I had my firewood delivered for the year.  I will be spending several hours this week stacking it.  There are constant chores that need doing when you live in the mountains.  I used to just flip a switch on for heat.   Now, I keep the fire going day and all night.  I love the feeling of a cabin that is heated with wood.  The furniture and bathroom fixtures all absorb the heat.  It feels totally different than other methods of warming a home.  It reminds me of how people used to live.


The other day I made a batch of dumplings.  I cooked them on top of my chicken soup.  My mom made them once when I was little, and we loved them.  She never made them again, in spite of my begging.  She didn't do much baking.  Instead, she usually put potatoes in the oven to bake with our meat or a casserole.  With four kids, she had her hands full.  I took over the baking at a young age, which helped her.  She enjoyed the pies and cakes.  

  Dumplings are economical and they really absorb the flavor of the broth or stew.  I froze half of the dough to use next week.  They are a great way to stretch the grocery budget.   I also picked up some meat on sale at Stater Brothers.  The skirt steak I bought was delicious.  I marinated it as I described in my last post for several hours, and then broiled it. I am a convert to marinade!   It only took four minutes on the first side, and three minutes on the second.  It was fantastic with a baked potato and salad.  I used the leftover bones this morning to make a vegetable bone broth.  I've been enjoying that all day, and will finish it this evening.

Thank you for your comments, they add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please reply in English.  Comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated. 



13 comments:

  1. The snow does look very pretty and the little blue spruce tree looks just like a Christmas tree! Glad you had the firewood delivered. Do you have a shed or something where you stack it? Your dumplings sound delicious. I haven't made any, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bless, I don't have a shed for it, but I can stack it and cover the top with a tarp. It is very well seasoned.

      Delete
  2. That looks so cosy and homey and old-fashioned. It's just beautiful. The tree will look gorgeous decorated too.
    What decided you to live in a cabin rather than a more conventional home? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joy. I fell in love with this cabin when my realtor showed it to me. I have always loved being in the mountains and near the forest. My family lived in Seattle, WA until I was six.

      Delete
  3. I would certainly decorate your Blue Spruce for Christmas, Stephenie, it looks lovely covered in snow now. I love the smell of a real wood fire too. It must be so very cosy in your cabin :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, PP. Thank you. I am so pleased with how well the Blue Spruce are doing. They look very at home here.

      Delete
  4. The picture of the blue spruce looks like a Christmas card. Very pretty! My mother made chicken and dumplings once in a while, but her recipe came from the back of the Bisquick box. I seem to remember the dumplings being rather gummy biscuits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anita. Yes, they are gummy, but they absorb the flavor of the stew or broth. I saved the leftovers in the fridge and reheated them all week with my daily salads. An easy alternative to baking bread, which I rarely do anymore.

      Delete
  5. It looks so beautiful there, Stephenie. And it sounds like you are well prepared for keeping safe and warm in the months to come. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jules, Thank you. Preparation makes such a difference. The sun is out today, and there is still snow on the ground.

      Delete
  6. Hi Stephenie, I was wondering what your dumpling recipe is???

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are lots of dumpling recipes online, if you Google them. They are easy and fast.

    ReplyDelete