Monday, November 7, 2022

Preparing For The Snow Up At The Cabin

 


Yesterday as I was setting my clock back, I dropped it on the floor.  Crash!  It broke.  I think it belonged to the original owner, and was  probably from the 1970's.  I drove down to Alice's Vintage Cottage and purchased one that I had been eyeing for months.  I climbed up on a kitchen chair, and carefully hung it on the wall.  It has hand painted pink roses and says "Paris"...it's so pretty.  I love the Roman numerals.



We have a snowstorm on the way, so I put the chains on the VW Beetle this morning.  It was still clear outside.  I wasn't sure if I would remember how to do it without watching a Youtube video as a refresher, but it all came back to me.  It's so much easier to fit them around the tire when it's not freezing cold and you aren't under any pressure or stress.  I got the dogs exercised as it began drizzling, too.  Weather has no bearing on their desire to go for a long walk.  



For the past several days I have been carrying several loads of firewood to my porch.  It's a secure feeling to have plenty of wood for the fireplace insert close to the house, stored in a dry place.  It's so much easier than lugging a snow-covered tarps and wood during a storm.  The weather can be extreme in the mountains.  We need the rain, and I am grateful that the snow is coming.  I am so glad that the house painters finished their work before this weather hit.  I also went to the grocery store on Saturday and stocked up on essentials and bought a large bag of dog food.

How about you? Are you prepared for the cold weather?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please reply in English.  Those with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.





14 comments:

  1. It sounds like you are very well prepared, which is the best thing one can do! I had my heater serviced/safety checked, today, so I have a warm house, again. Of course, it doesn't snow down here, but, it rained practically all day, today and more rain is in the forecast for tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bless, That's comforting to have a warm, dry house in the rain. It's a nice change to have all this rain in November. It's so good for the soil and the plants. The streams up here will be running.

      Delete
  2. Fortunately, we tend not to have much (if any) snow around here which is why, when it does snow, the whole county/country grinds to a halt! We just don't have the recourses for something that happens so rarely.
    I hope the storm isn't too bad and the clock looks so pretty. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joy. Yes, the snowplows make all the difference in clearing the roads. Our county also spreads salt on our streets, which makes it safer to drive. I usually stay in or walk to town in this weather.

      Delete
  3. I am as prepared as we need to be in mild San Diego! I did take the afghans out of the cabinet and aired them outside so we can bundle up. We had our annual termite inspection a few weeks ago and asked the inspector if he would look around the attic crawl space for any evidence of roof leaks. He said everything looked nice and dry (and no termites!!). Hopefully we will get some of the rain down this way. Stay safe and warm in your lovely mountain cabin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An annual termite inspection...that's a great idea, Anita. It has been very rainy here; I hope you got some in San Diego. There's a roaring fire in the fireplace, and I have a persimmon pudding baking in the oven. Yum!

      Delete
  4. I love your cabin, greetings from Costa Rica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Geovanna...all the way from Cost Rica! I appreciate your comment. I love my cabin, too.

      Delete
  5. It's certainly a comfort to know that you are prepared for the oncoming snow isn't it. Lots of fuel and warm clothing! We are stocking up on tinned goods as well as food for the fridge and freezer. I hate being unprepared!
    Your new clock is lovely, Stephenie. What a shame the other clock got broken, but it was a good excuse to buy the one you loved :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is, PP. I bought some canned fruit a few months ago for the stockpile. It's nice to have if you can't get out in the weather to buy bananas and apples. I need to buy more enchilada sauce and crushed tomatoes. I go through them so quickly. Glad you like the clock. It turns out, the previous owner had a spare clock with a duck on it in the service porch. It was up high on a shelf. It looks like it is vintage, too. I hung it upstairs...still works with a AA battery after all these years!

      Delete
  6. Your home looks so cosy, Stephenie. I have enjoyed this glimpse into your cabin. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jules. It is. I love mountain life. The cabin is really comfortable and well designed.

      Delete
  7. You are always so organised Stephenie. It reassures me to know you will be safe and warm. I'm looking forward to seeing snow photos as it will be stunning 😍

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Cherie. My parents were that way. It makes life much less stressful.

    ReplyDelete