Saturday, November 26, 2022

Choices That Will Make Your Retirement Easier

 


Learning to cook and bake from scratch will save you heaps of money.  It is also very enjoyable.  You're spending your time in a positive way, and your home or apartment will smell divine.  The quality leftover food can be enjoyed for days.  By making what you eat yourself, you avoid chemicals, unhealthy ingredients that you can't pronounce, and you don't waste packaging.  I transferred this apple cranberry crisp into a pyrex dish with a lid to keep it fresh.  


Choosing to live in an area with a low cost of living will also help you to keep your expenses low.  You may have to drive further to get to the grocery store, but you can stock up on your staples, and plan ahead with a grocery list for what you need.  Up in the mountains, we are used to keeping a stockpile of food in anticipation of power outages, snowstorms, or busy roads due to out-of-town visitors who want to ski, hike and snowboard.


Staying in shape through hiking, carrying firewood, walking your dog and bicycling will make your health expenses lower or even nonexistent.  Most of us will encounter some health challenges as we age, but being physically active and spending time outdoors can make a huge difference.  The longer you are strong and fit, the better your retirement will be.

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please reply in English.  Those with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated. 

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Joy. The decisions we make about our retirement are critical.

      Delete
  2. All very good choices that we can make when we retire. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bless. I am a big admirer of your grocery budget and financial discipline.

      Delete
  3. Interesting comments. I have retired friends who live great lives and travel, just through choices with how they use their money, even if they don't have a lot. A bit of common sense thrift and lifestyle does really equal a more affluent life. I love your food choices, they make me hungry.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, srs. Retirement can be a really incredible time of life. It takes preparation and planning, in my opinion. That's great that your friends are enjoying their lives and traveling.

      Delete
  4. We are really enjoying our retirement! Yes, it does take financial planning, but also the proper mindset and emotional planning. I agree about keeping healthy and active. Your crisp looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful, Anita. I love hearing about people's lives during retirement. It can be a very happy time.

      Delete
  5. Only the other day my friend and I were saying that people should be learning how to cook from scratch. I was never taught by my mother but learned over the years. I've burned my fair share over the years but eventually got the hang of cooking. I'm looking forward to hearing all about that cosy cabin of years as the winter sets in and you snuggle down and keep warm. xx Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cherie. I will be posting more about cabin life, up in the mountains. I'm glad you stuck with cooking. My mom taught me how to cook everything, and I really appreciate it now. My aunt was also an amazing chef. It is such an important skill to have. You spend far less money.

      Delete