Monday, November 14, 2022

When There is a Power Outage at Your Cabin

 


People think of sunshine and the beach when visualizing California, but up in Wrightwood, we do have snow.  Those are Cedar trees on the right.  They are so spiritual.  I found deer tracks alongside that side of cabin.  It's fun to compare the footprints of all the animals that come to visit.  We get such a variety.


The other night we lost power.  It was getting late, so I took the hurricane lamps upstairs to the bedroom.  The dogs quickly grabbed their bones and ran up before me.  I thought it was funny that they carried their prized possessions with them to bed.  You can see their eyes glowing like coyotes.  


We only lost our power for about an hour.  The fireplace was filled with wood, and I set the temperature of the insert on low for the evening.  I got up a couple of times during the night to use the restroom and to add more wood.  I was glad that I had plenty of flashlights, matches and candles.  I found it more comfortable to stay in one room than to try to roam around the house in the dark.  I just did yoga and then the power returned.  I read a few chapters of John Muir's book, Travels in Alaska, and then fell fast asleep, under the canopy of the trees.  It is so calming to sleep out in nature.  There is such a different energy than in the city.

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please reply in English. Those with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the articles here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated. 



16 comments:

  1. Where you live looks absolutely gorgeous and I so love how much you draw from it in beauty, energy and happiness. I love that snow. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it, too, Joy. It makes everything so clean and white. It's so pretty to look out the windows...

      Delete
  2. It looks beautiful with the snow! You are well prepared for power outages, Stephenie, but, I'm glad the power wasn't out for long. Too funny that the dogs grabbed their bones to take upstairs with them! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that was a relief, Bless. I chuckled at the dogs, too. They really do care about their possessions, and want to protect and keep an eye on them.

      Delete
  3. It was a good job you were well prepared. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jules. The previous own left all kind of supplies that have really helped me up there. (Extra blankets, flashlights, batteries, candles, matches, etc...)

      Delete
  4. I laughed out loud about Lula and Jacques taking their precious bones with them to bed. It sounds like you are very well prepared for winter in the cabin. What lovely pictures of the snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anita, I laughed at them, too. They were in such a hurry; they really sensed the need to grab your valuables and run upstairs. The snow has been beautiful, and not too much to shovel so far...

      Delete
  5. The very air is different. It does wonders for the appetite, increases the desire to move and be active, and we breathe differently. It's a great sleeping aid. :) I loved the Colorado air. We lived on the side of a mountain and my whole personality changed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know what you mean, Anonymous. Your blood changes up in the mountains. The beauty and stillness are so wonderful. Sleeping feels totally different. It's like being up in a treehouse.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your cabin. And the lovely way that you have furnished it, classy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, ratnamurti. The previous owner left all of the furniture. I added the lamps and decorations. Some of them belonged to my mom. She was a great decorator. The old clocks still work; it feels very vintage.

      Delete
  8. Those cedar must smell amazing. I bet you sleep really well after breathing all the woodland air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do, Cherie. We get tired really early this time of year. The sunrises are spectacular each morning.

      Delete
  9. The snowy photos look wonderful, so clean and fresh, I can almost smell the crisp, snowy air! You do well to be so prepared for power losses. I hope I'm prepared enough for our potential power cuts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does smell wonderful, PP. I've learned over the past few years what I really need when the power is off; staying in the bedroom is much more comfortable. The hurricane lamps light it up well, and we pile on the blankets. The fireplace adds natural light, too.

      Delete