Thursday, December 15, 2022

Winter Chores Keep You in Shape

 


When you heat your home with wood, there are numerous trips to the woodpile that have to be made.     The logs need to dry out, you must plan for raging storms and dark nights, and you certainly don't want to run out of fuel.


It's important to clear the snow and ice off of your deck.  All of that water does damage if it's just sitting there for days.  The snow does melt it, but it will leave a mark on the side of your cabin if it's not removed.  I had a lot of discoloration on my home's exterior because the cabin had been sitting empty for two and a half years.  

It's invigorating to be out in the mountain air, shoveling snow.  You don't need to pay for a gym membership, and your muscles will feel it!  It also provides the trees with much needed water.  Clearing your deck means you are far less likely to slip, which is easy to do when it's icy and the temperatures are at or below freezing.


The more of these chores you can do yourself, the less expensive it will be.  If you get out and clear your driveway while it's still powder, the work is much lighter and easier.  I invested in winter tires this year, and I haven't needed to put on my chains.  I still keep them in my trunk, in case we experience extreme conditions.  It's important to start your car regularly, so that you don't wind up with a dead battery.  

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please reply in English.  Those with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated. 








11 comments:

  1. I love chopping and gathering wood. It really is a great workout. Are you spending Christmas at the cabin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chopping wood is a great workout, Cherie. I have someone chop it for me, but I do carry it inside and do all the other work with the fireplace.

      Delete
  2. People often don't realise that hard physical work really does keep us in good shape. I've noticed that the people who work outside in inclement weather seem to have gotten covid much less severe than the rest of us. Hoping to find a way to put in a small herb and vegie patch, soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always felt that working in the snow and cold makes you stronger and healthier, too, ratnamurti. Good luck with the herb and veggie patch. Growing your own food is so rewarding.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you found some free exercise while keeping yourself warm and the cabin cared for. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, Bless. I love being outside in the woods, too. The trees are so beautiful.

      Delete
  4. It sounds like there is never a dull moment at the cabin. Not having to wrestle with snow chains must be a relief now that you have the snow tires. I bet settling down with a hot coffee and piece of your homemade cake is very welcome after all that exercise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anita, It is. I just enjoyed a slice of homemade cranberry orange bread on a break. Tea time very soon...

      Delete
  5. That's sound advice there. I used to love clearing powdery snow off the drive but can no longer manage it. I have to wait for it to melt now! After our recent snowfall, I haven't left the house for several days. I must say that everything smells so fresh after snow. It must smell wonderful at the cabin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi PP, It does. Many people up here just wait for the snow to melt, for the same reason that you do. Powder is my favorite, too. It's so light and easy to move.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete