Tuesday, December 27, 2022

Testing Your Home for an Unexpected Fall or Injury

 Recently I incurred an unexpected joint injury.  Although I had read numerous articles on preparing your home for retirement and old age, I had put off some of the changes, thinking that I had plenty of time. 

Generally, we don't plan to fall, get sick, or have an accident.   The situation we have created at home is what we are stuck with while limping or hobbling around, unable to put weight on one of our legs.  In my case, I was relieved  that I had stored my mom's walker in the closet in case of such an event. 

It enabled me to take the dogs out, (by sitting in it on the deck, like a wheelchair, and using their retractable leash,) I could put the ice bags in the pouch, get my dishes done, and prepare my coffee for the morning.

One thing I didn't anticipate was the level of pain.  I nearly passed out, and felt like I was going to vomit.  I laid on the floor with my legs elevated and practiced my yoga breathing.  The dogs sensed the intensity of the situation. The pranayama practice calmed me down, and then I took a Motrin.  "Take two," I heard my mom's voice say.  I did.  She always was big on "staying ahead of the pain."   The effect was immediate.  I was SO glad that I had a bottle in the medicine cabinet.  The over-the-counter variety works like a miracle on me.  I almost never take anything, even an aspirin.  In this case it brought me from agony to a level of comfort and the ability to ice the joint for hours.

The previous owner left several ice packs in the freezer, so they were ready to go and really helped to reduce the pain and swelling.  The golfball shape reminded me of having a lump on my head as a kid.  

If you were to get hurt suddenly, would you be able to get around and take care of yourself?  I am so glad that I saved my walker from my hip replacement surgery, and my crutches from when I broke my toe.  A visit to the emergency room would have been stressful, crowded, and probably would have taken hours.  It also would have been very expensive.  It pays to be prepared.  After one night, I was walking unassisted again, and off the pain medication.

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please reply in English.  Those with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated. 

14 comments:

  1. Oh no! I hope you recover soon. Thankful you had some helpful tools to help out with the walker, crutches and the Motrin. Take good care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm fine now, Chy. Thanks. Yes, without those things it would have been dreadful. I had almost donated the crutches and walker, but now am so glad that I didn't. I'm going to buy knee and ankle braces, and keep them in the medicine cabinets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you were able to manage on your own, Stephenie and feeling better, now. I have crutches, but, I couldn't find my mother's walker when I had my sciatica pains, last year. I was sure it was in the guest room closet, but, it wasn't. Maybe I gave it away when I was decluttering. But, I've fallen both inside the house and out in the garden. It's a concern when I'm alone (especially since I have osteopenia, which is the precursor to osteoporosis).

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you have good neighbors, Bless. I think it's important to keep a pouch with your phone nearby at all times. I have a few people very near to my home that I could call if I needed them. Too bad you gave away that walker. They are so useful for so many things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, dear. I'm glad you had what you needed to hand but it sounds horrendous, all the same. How are you feeling now? xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Joy. It's pain free now. I am so pleased at how quickly it healed. The ice and Motrin really did wonders. I used the thigh master yesterday, and am able to do my chores again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a horrible accident. I am so pleased to read that you are on the mend. I agree about using OTC medications right away. Motrin is an anti-inflammatory and I believe (I am not a physician so take this with a grain of salt please) that it is the inflammation that causes lingering pain and damages surrounding tissues. I bet Lula and Jacques were very concerned. -

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Anita. Yes, Jacques and I had finished our walk, but the hot water from immersing in the bath triggered it. I agree about the inflammation. It was like an injection of pain flooded the injury. The ice and Motrin reversed it. Lula and Jacques seemed very puzzled. Animals are so sensitive and in tune.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness, Stephenie, that sounds like a nasty experience. Injuries or sickness always seem worse when you are alone too. It's lucky you have your wits about you and knew what to do. Wishing you a happy, healthy New Year x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, PP. It was an intense experience, but my body healed extremely quickly. It made me appreciate all of the little things, like cooking, cleaning, and doing housework.

      Delete
  10. Sorry to hear this. Joint (or muscle) pain in my case is indefinably painful. Hope you recover soon. I keep heat pads, deep heat cream and paracetemol handy for things like this. Hope you recover soon xxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was only for a couple of days, ratnamurti. Thank you. You are wise to have all of those supplies. I have heating pads, too. My body is back to normal and it is a joy to be doing all of my regular exercise again.

      Delete
    2. would love another yoga post by you. I really like the evening routine, in 2 parts, that you posted a few years ago. The type of yoga that I love.

      Delete
    3. I'm still doing it. I actually just finished my evening practice. The repetition is comforting. Glad to hear that you enjoyed that post. Thank you.

      Delete