Thursday, December 8, 2022

The Grinch and the Garden

 


I found this set of Christmas characters from The Grinch Who Stole Christmas today.  Aren't they cute?  I adored that movie as a child, still do.   I have been singing the songs from it all afternoon.  What a brilliant piece of art it was, and so funny...


I have roses opening in December!  I think it's because I didn't prune back them for winter.  I'm hoping they will become huge.  We have had some nice rain, too.  The soil is rich and healthy, thanks to the straw mulch.  I love roses...they are the perfect flower to have in a cottage garden.  They make my heart sing.


The Algerian Tangerine tree is loaded with fruit.  Each year it gets bigger and stronger.  Eventually it will be three times this size.  In the early days, many of the homes in Southern California had fruit trees in the front yards.  Green lawns then came into fashion, but that has changed, with the drought.  There are a lot of squirming earthworms in this soil,  When I first bought the house, the front yard was hard, red clay and tangled bermuda grass.   It is rewarding to see the growth and improvement.  The tangerines are a bit small, but they taste delicious.  We are expecting rain, so that will help them to become bigger and jucier.

How is your garden right now?  Are you growing any food?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please reply in English.  Those with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.  

12 comments:

  1. Wow, look at all that fruit - fantastic. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joy. The tangerines are so delicious when they are picked fresh. They taste so different than the ones you buy in the store. Citrus grows really well here.

      Delete
  2. Those Grinch ornaments are cute! And your garden looks like it is doing really well! Those pink roses are lovely and that tangerine tree looks great! You have a really nice harvest of tangerines to be picked soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bless. The garden seems relieved that the heat of September is over...that's the hardest time of the year for the plants to survive here. It's nice to have some color in the garden when it's cold.

      Delete
  3. Your roses are beautiful. I don't grow them, but I do appreciate them in other gardens. Our winter vegetable garden is small and it has taken us years to get the soil enriched. We grow several varieties of lettuces, spinach, radishes, and beets. The rain is also expected all the way down here by Sunday and I am eagerly waiting for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Anita. I didn't expect them to bloom this time of year. Your vegetables sound wonderful. I'm sure they will love the rain that's coming our way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore those Grinch ornaments. The film is a film Christmas favourite. My poor veg garden is frozen solid at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Cherie. So do I. The music from The Grinch is fantastic. It has been freezing at night, up here in the mountains, too. I plan to plant tulip bulbs today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Grinch characters are wonderful! Beautiful roses and tangerines too. The ground here is frozen solid so I can't pull up the last beetroot at the allotment and not much else will be grown until next year now. The frost has barely lifted all day. We have some English bluebells to plant in the garden but there's no chance for a few days yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hope you can get those in the ground soon, PP. I still need to plant my tulips and other bulbs. We got a lot of rain last night, so those tangerines will be plumper and juicier.

      Delete
  8. Your tangerine tree looks amazing. It will provide you with a plentiful supply.
    I have never watched 'The Grinch'. Perhaps this is the year that I should :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jules. I love how it looks...so abundant. If you can find The Grinch, it is a fantastic Christmas special. Try to watch the original. I think it's from the 50's or 60's. We loved it as kids, but I appreciate it even more as an adult.

      Delete