Monday, January 2, 2023

Tangerine Harvest

 


This afternoon I stripped the Algerian Tangerine tree of all of its fruit.  I wanted to leave the beautiful citrus on the tree; they looked so pretty!  (Everyone was commenting on them.)  But, my neighbor let me know that she saw a squirrel with one in his mouth while she was on her walk.  She recognized the orange color.  Once the animals start helping themselves to your fruit, it can disappear very quickly.

The recent rain helped them to swell with water.  We've been in a drought here in California, so the storms we've had have really helped those of us who are fruit growers.  I am hopeful for a plentiful harvest of rhubarb and apricots in the spring.


Growing your own food is an incredibly rewarding experience.  It takes time to build up the soil, but once you have worms, they do the work for you.  My soil used to be red clay.  I plan to feed the fruit trees some homemade compost before the next storm.  

How is your garden doing?  What have you been harvesting?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please reply in English.  Those with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated. 

16 comments:

  1. Oh, what a lovely tangerine harvest! Good idea to pick the fruit before the squirrels get them! I haven't been harvesting much from my garden, yet, this winter, but, I've some lemons and oranges ripening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bless. That little tree was loaded with fruit. Enjoy your lemons and oranges. That reminds me, I need to feed my orange and lemon trees.

      Delete
  2. How wonderful - what will you do with them? Are they solely for eating or can you preserve some of them?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will share them with my neighbors and eat them, Joy. You could juice them or make marmalade, but I just like them as they are.

      Delete
  3. What a delicious harvest you have Stephenie. Do you plan to make marmalade or jam with any of them?
    Nothing but Kale to pick at the allotment at the moment and I can't wait to begin sowing seeds once again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kale is so healthy, PP. I have some from our co-op. I don't eat much jam or marmalade here. I am trying to reduce my intake of sugar and carbs. (Although I love scones with jam, and indulge on that when I visit London.)

      Delete
  4. Those tangerines! I'd love to eat tangerines straight from the tree one day (not likely in Scotland unfortunately). Our garden is dormant at the moment, even the hardy broccoli has frozen, a first. Wishing you a happy 2023 x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on the broccoli, Christina. I grew six heads of it one year, here at the cottage. That's an accomplishment.

      Delete
  5. That is a lot of tangerines! I know the neighbors will appreciate them. We have been working our vegetable garden soil for many years now and both gardens are producing well-lettuces, radishes, carrots, beets, snap peas, bell peppers-depending on the season. We started with red clay here also. And lots and lots of rocks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Anita. I was so pleased. That's fantastic that you are growing all of those vegetables.

      Delete
  6. What a plentiful harvest, and such a gorgeous colour. Enjoy them while they last. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the color, too, Jules. Thanks. The flavor is amazing! Our area is ideal for growing citrus.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful and abundant tangerines! I can just picture the squirrel with one in its mouth..lol andrea

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bet the scent of that fruit is incredible. The fruit must taste amazing fresh from the tree. I'm starting to think about the next sowing and planting season now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, Cherie. There is nothing like the fragrance of fresh, homegrown citrus. The flavor is excellent. It's so satisfying to eat fruit that you have grown in your own yard, in rich, fertile soil.

      Delete