Thursday, January 5, 2023

Back Home From Santa Barbara

 


On Tuesday, I drove up the 126 to Santa Barbara, California.  I had purchased a ticket to see the Aretha Franklin Broadway show, RESPECT.  It was playing for two nights at The Granada Theater, on State Street. 


I felt a bit nervous about driving there.  The weather had been stormy, and we were expecting more rain on Wednesday.  Tuesday ended up being lovely.  I rode a rented bike from Wheel Fun Rentals along the scenic beach bike path for half of the day.  The views of the ocean, clouds, and mountains were spectacular!


I stayed at The Santa Barbara Inn, right on the water.  It was very clean and spacious, and they make a terrific pot of coffee, (which is free in the lobby each morning.)  I had lunch out on the patio, and my waitress, Renee, was very sweet and kind.  

I ordered the baby back ribs, and they were fantastic.  So was the bread, which was homemade, with olive oil and pesto.  I took the leftovers with me to my room.  For dinner, I enjoyed the Mercato salad and the flavorful lemon tart.  Both were divine.  My waitress that evening was a tall blonde, who helped me figure out directions to get to the theater.  She was surprised I didn't have a Smartphone with GPS.  Thanks to her, I got there easily and quickly.  She was so warm and helpful.


The show was a smash; I danced in the back row of the balcony for the entire second act.  It was like a concert.  I was so impressed with the cast, the choreography, and the music.  What a difficult and painful life Aretha Franklin had.  No wonder her voice and spirit reflected so much depth.  


I drove home early Wednesday morning.  Fortunately, I picked up the canines before the rain began to pound down from the sky.  It poured last night, but the dogs and I were safe at home, snug and warm.   I am so glad that the roof was replaced before it gave me any problems.  

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please reply in English.  Those with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated. 

12 comments:

  1. What an amazing experience! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a very fun visit to Santa Barbara. Glad you got home safely and dry before the rains came down! I'm enjoying the rain, but, I'm glad I don't have to drive in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are wise to stay home, Bless. I was able to time it so that I didn't have to drive in any rain or traffic. Santa Barbara is a gorgeous location.

      Delete
  3. I love that you are so adventurous, Stephenie, I never have been a confident traveller and never will now, but I would have so enjoyed that show too. The atmosphere must have been electric! So glad that you enjoyed your adventure :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, PP. I was debating about postponing this trip, but really wanted to see the Aretha show. They were only in town for two nights. Everything worked out beautifully.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the lovely Santa Barbara pictures. The entire trip sounds like so much fun. I am glad you were able to miss the big rains. Lemon tart!! My favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anita, It was. It's a relief when everything runs smoothly for travel. (Especially with all the flight cancellations people have been experiencing recently. Their lemon tart was superb!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like a wonderful evening. I love how you describe the meals that you eat. They always sound so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cherie. The meals at their restaurant, Convivo, were excellent.

      Delete
  7. That sounds like a joyful experience, I can imagine you dancing in that back row during the concert. After all this storm and rain in California it is nice to see the sun in your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Terra. The sun was lovely, but just for one day. I left early to avoid the next storm.

    ReplyDelete