Monday, January 16, 2023

A Frightened Squirrel

 

 This little squirrel came up to me after last week's first atmospheric river. She looked right into my eyes, stood up on her hind legs, and chattered away, obviously very upset.  It was as if she was explaining to me that her burrow had become flooded, her stored acorns had washed away, and she wanted to convey how dangerous it had been.  She used her paws a lot, and seemed traumatized.

The Native Americans teach that squirrels warn others of impending danger.  They are admired for their stockpiling skills.  Many of these creatures are swept away during floods.  How frightening it must have been for her with those huge gusts of wind.  The force would have been terrifying.  I panicked, just taking the dogs out to go potty.  She acted like she knew me, as if I were part of her family.

Her snowy white stomach is so beautiful, and her tail is warm and bushy.  I'm sure it brings her comfort when she's sleeping.  The past couple of days she has been religiously gathering more acorns.  I am glad that I have been focusing on taking care of the oaks and pines.  Squirrels eat the pine nuts inside pinecones for protein.  

15 comments:

  1. My squirrels have been burying every peanut I put out for them! But they will gobble down the sunflower seeds. I guess they don't bury seeds? Once my husband was sitting on our porch, and a squirrel came up to him and dropped one of my cherry tomatoes next to him. We laughed, thinking it was saying that it will trade the tomato for a peanut. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a cute story, Andrea. They are such expressive animals. They are so busy and fast...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's just wonderful how the squirrel came to communicate her experience with you! You seem to have an affinity for nature and animals. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bless. I love being outside with them. They treat me like I'm the mother. (Not just of the dogs, but of all the animals.) I think the wildlife observe us at times when we don't even see them.

      Delete
  4. It must have been awful for the poor little creature. I'm glad there's enough food for her at the moment. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope there is, Joy. She looks healthy. I just felt sorry for her; she was so upset and emotional.

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful little creature. The adverse weather conditions must be terrifying but at least she has a source of food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, isn't she gorgeous, PP? She has been taking the acorns that the woodpeckers stored in the pine trees, and they are furious. They have been dive bombing her.

      Delete
  6. The local squirrels pinch all my flower bulbs but they leave walnuts in the pots. There must be a tree close by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh...you're probably right, Cherie. They munched my dahlias down to the ground. I find if I plant irises, they leave those alone.

      Delete
  7. Squirrels are fun to watch. We have ground squirrels here which do serious damage to the hillsides with their burrowing. I often wonder how the wildlife is doing during hard rain storms. Andrea-your story made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope they are safe underground, Anita. These squirrels are up in the trees and are very agile. The coyotes hunt them at night. Their lives are not easy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Squirrels are so lovely. We don't have them in New Zealand. Here, a particular small bird foretells that someone is going to be Passing Over. Taking head of Native knowledge is always a boon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are, ratnamurti. I love all the wildlife you have there in New Zealand and Oz.

      Delete
  10. Thank you for sharing useful information with us. please keep sharing like this. And if you are searching a unique and Top University in India, Colleges discovery platform, which connects students or working professionals with Universities/colleges, at the same time offering information about colleges, courses, entrance exam details, admission notifications, scholarships, and all related topics. Please visit below links:

    MBA in Logistics Management Colleges in Mangalore
    MBA in Supply Chain Management Colleges in Mangalore
    MBA in Enterprise Management Colleges in Mangalore
    MBA in Artificial Intelligence Colleges in Mangalore
    MBA in Business Analytics & Big Data Colleges in Mangalore
    MBA in E-Commerce Colleges in Mangalore
    MBA in Rural & Agri-Business Colleges in Mangalore

    ReplyDelete