Tuesday, January 10, 2023

Frightening Floods in California

 


As many of you probably know, we have been experiencing severe flooding in California.  The rain has been constant.  Fortunately, I had contacted our county flood control a few weeks before the first intense storm.  I let them know that the water had seeped under my front door, and that my carpet was soaking wet.  

They sent out five bulldozers and removed an enormous amount of dirt, and then paved it over and built up the area in front of my cottage.  It took several days of work.  Thankfully, after their efforts, the water flowed down to the waterway that leads it into the wash behind our homes.

The winds have been extreme; in some places over 100 miles per hour.  Never before have I been so thankful for my stockpile.  It is not safe to drive in this weather.  The last thing you want to have to do is head out to the store for a loaf of bread or carton of milk.  The most common way people die in floods is being trapped in their cars.  The water can rise so quickly.

This morning I made a batch of chicken and vegetable enchiladas, broiled three marinated Tri-Tip steaks, and baked  six  russet potatoes.  If the power goes out, tasty and nutritious meals are ready.  Some of the residents here have said that their gas bills have quadrupled.  Switching to the fireplace insert and having the electric radiator heaters as an option has definitely saved me money.  I keep my gas water heater on low.

The challenge now is to keep the firewood dry.  My wood pile is soaked.  (Even though I covered it carefully with a tarp.)  But, I had spent hours stacking wood near the door, and bringing it in early to dry by the fire.  That wood was sheltered from the rain and snow.  So far so good...

How are you faring in this wet weather?  I hope you are safe and dry.

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please reply in English.  Those with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated. 


25 comments:

  1. That is pretty amazing that you foresaw any water problems and had it fixed! Stay safe and I hope you continue to stay dry at your house. Your planning is paying off. (btw, I love tri-tip!) andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, Andrea, I had been putting straw where the red Beetle is parked, to soak up the water and prevent it seeping under my front door. The county asked me to remove it. I told them why I had put it there, and they offered to help me. Such a relief! I feel so badly for all the people who are in the disaster areas.

      Delete
    2. Well that worked out well! Here, at my house, we were thinking that maybe if we'd get news of rains like that on the way, we'd go out and buy some bagged sand. andrea

      Delete
    3. I placed sandbags that I filled in front of my door, Andrea. It seemed to make it worse. Raising the ground made all the difference.

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry the water seeped through your door and soaked your carpet! I hope there won't be any damage to your floor from the soaked carpet.
    That's good that the county flood control people came out and built up the area in front of your cottage; hopefully, there will be no additional flooding.
    Very smart of you to cook ahead and have prepared meals on hand if the power goes out!
    Yes, I just paid my December gas bill and it was almost $400; the gas company has estimated that my next bill will be upwards of $700. I bundle up in layers and wear socks, scarves, and even my fingerless mitts, inside the house, but, I still feel cold and have the heater on. The bill will be way more than what I've budgeted for it, so I will take from savings to pay for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! I am sorry that your bill is so expensive, Bless. Ugh. What a shock. I was able to dry out the carpet by walking on towels and doing laundry to soak up the water. I kept the fans on it. I had to use the dryer to launder the towels, and that will increase my gas bill. But, the carpet was dry after the above storm.

      Delete
  3. How good that your county flood control people acted so quickly to prevent further damage. I am in California too and staying home most days as they recommend. I did drive to church, no rain that day, and it lifted my spirits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Terra, You are wise to stay home for safety. Glad that you enjoyed church on the day it didn't rain. The stories in the news are heartbreaking.

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad your flooding wasn't disastrous and that the authorities came so quickly to sort it sort for you. It all sounds very difficult around your way right now. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I am glad, too, Joy. Thank you. They did such an impressive job on our street. It is a huge relief.

      Delete
  5. That flooding sounds terrifying. Thank goodness you have a good stock of food. Stay safe. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a secure feeling to have food stored and prepared, Cherie. Thanks.

      Delete
  6. These storms are certainly giving us Californians lots of problems in addition to the much-needed water. I am amazed your government responded to fast to your water issues. It seems to take forever around here to get any problems addressed. We have been waiting for 15 years for the city to fix our road which was damaged by fighting the 2007 wildfires! I am dreading our utility bill which is due any day now. Even though we are lucky enough to live in a such a mild climate that we don't need to turn on the furnace, we did use our gas-powered fireplace over the holidays for a festive treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what my neighbor said, Anita. That's great that you don't need to turn on your furnace. The cottage is so small that I can turn it on for a short time, and then shut it off...

      Delete
  7. I'm glad to hear you are safe and have a good stockpile, Stephenie.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nil! I've been worried about you. I hope everything is okay. Yes, I just went shopping to replenish the stockpile today. We've had a break in the weather, but more rain is coming...

      Delete
  8. I'm so sorry to see California is going through such terrible flooding, and to hear water got into your lovely home. I'm glad they have fixed it for you though and that you are now safe and dry. It's wonderful you had the security of your stockpile to rely on. It certainly makes a difference in extreme weather. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been intense, Emma. Thank you. The stockpile gives such a sense of relief. It's much safer to stay off the roads in this weather.

      Delete
  9. We have seen TV coverage of the terrible flooding you are enduring, Stephenie, and I'm so sorry to hear that the water was encroaching into your home. Well done for getting it attended to so quickly. It wouldn't have been so quick here in the UK. It's so good to hear that you are well prepared with food as well as wood for the fire. Stay safe my lovely x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, PP. I was very fortunate that they were so organized and sent such a large crew. It is shocking to see the footage on television. I am just thankful that I am no longer driving long distances to work. I feel for those people who are.

      Delete
  10. The weather is much the same here. Stay safe, Stephenie. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You, too, Jules. I hope you are safe, warm, and dry. So much of the rain here depends on where you live.

      Delete
  11. Hi there Stephanie, I've been amiss but wanted to specifically stop in to make sure you've been okay through all the weather. Glad to hear you were prepared - knew you were, but there's always some fluke thing that gets folks. Think it's calmed down now. Happy to see you've made more posts so must be well 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi LL! Thanks for commenting. Yes...so far, so good. There are always chores to do and preparations to be made. Hope all is well with you.

      Delete