Thursday, April 18, 2024

Baking Cream Scones

 

Today I tried a King Arthur recipe for cream scones.  It was a much easier one to make, than others I’ve sampled. Theresults were fantastic!  You don’t need to cut in butter, mix eggs with cream, or any of the other American techniques. (that I found in Martha Stewart’s recipes.)


This version makes twelve scones, so I plan to roll out the second half of the dough and store the triangles in the fridge.  First I will brush them with heavy cream and then sprinkle them with sugar.  They baked up nicely in my vintage toaster oven.  I served the, with strawberry rhubarb jam.  Heaven!

As a child I thought I didn’t like scones.  The ones that our San Mateo bakery sold were huge, dry, crumbly, and stale. 

I finally tasted scrumptious scones after fifty at The Simpson House Inn, and then again at Hotel  41 in London.  Enjoying them at the cottage, out on the front porch makes me feel like I am on vacation.  What are you baking?



8 comments:

  1. The scones look delicious! I haven't made cream scones. I haven't been baking much, recently. It feels like too much of an effort! Which is interesting because I love to bake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bless, I like this recipe because it's so easy. You just sprinkle the vanilla and whipping cream over the dry ingredients, and stir. It's less steps, and the dough comes together quickly.

      Delete
  2. I've not heard of cream scones! I'm craving a cheese one now! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are delicious, Vix. I just had two this afternoon with blackberry jam. Cheddar cheese scones sound delicious.

      Delete
  3. Your scones look delicious. The scones I bake are more like a cross between a rustic biscuit and shortcake. I usually add blueberries and lavender for flavor. My last baking was a batch of spicy oatmeal cookies (Steve's favorite) to share with the roofers. They were very happy to have a treat with their lunch one day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet, Anita! Baking is so relaxing. It tastes so much better than store bought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tony is a cheese scone fan and I love a fruit one... with lashings of butter, jam and cream

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheese scones sound fantastic, Cherie. Scones are addictive. I just bought several jars of jam to enjoy with them: blackberry, strawberry rhubarb, crabapple jelly, and cranberry pear apple.

      Delete