Monday, April 22, 2024

Suggestions for Seniors Traveling and Staying in a Hotel

 


On my recent trip to Las Vegas, I had a reservation at The Tahiti Village Resort.  I had purposely chosen a hotel on the south side of town to avoid traffic on I15 returning home to Los Angeles.  On a previous trip for a friend's birthday party, I sat in bumper to bumper traffic all the way from Mount Charleston to my home.  It took me almost six hours.  I didn't want to repeat this mistake.  

After meeting my friends for lunch, I filled up my gas tank, and arrived at the hotel.  They had sent me a text saying that my check in time was 4:30 p.m.  I checked in right on time, then followed the map to find the building my room was in, and a parking space.  

I couldn't find a parking spot.  The available ones were all handicapped.  It was packed, being a convention weekend.  I  had asked if someone at the reservation counter could help me, and the man there said that he couldn't leave his desk.  My ticket was for a 6:30 p.m. performance of Follies at the Aliante, which was fifty miles north of the hotel.

Realizing that things were not working out, I reversed the car, and  headed back home to my cabin in Wrightwood.  I made arrangements to text my girlfriend when I arrived home safely.  The next morning, I phoned the Tahiti Village Resort, and explained what had happened.  A supervisor named Linda phoned me back, and assured me that she would issue me a refund.  "Next time you stay here, ask for a room near the front desk or the elevator," she advised.  She also said to call Expedia and have them contact the supervisor, so she could verify that my story was true.  They would issue the refund, since it was a third-party reservation.  

A few days later, I received a credit for my resort fee, tax, and room.  It amounted to a large sum of money, and I really appreciated their suggestion for the future room location and their understanding.

I had been hoping to take a bath, get made up, and maybe swim at the pool in the afternoon.  Some hotels will allow you to check in early, if the room is ready.  It's worth asking.  Others will let you store your bags behind the desk while you use the facilities.  

Things take longer as we get older, and it's a good idea to allow a few extra hours of time, in case there is an issue, an accident, or something unexpected.  I missed the show, but got to see my friends.

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please reply in English.  I'm sorry, but those with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated. 

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I would have been so upset if it had happened to me! I'm glad you received a refund. But, what happened about the concert ticket? Were you still able to attend the concert? If not, were you able to get a refund on that, too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems ridiculous that there weren't any parking spots available at the hotel or that the man on reception couldn't help you and what a shame you had to miss the performance of that show you were hoping to see.
    I'm glad you were able to get a refund on your room especially as you said it was a lot of money. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have been heartbroken to miss that concert. It is good to know Expedia refunded the money. I'm glad it all worked out.

    ReplyDelete