Sunday, February 10, 2019

Close Friends That You Can Call



I've been reading a book called Boundaries, by Dr. Henry Cloud. In it, he mentions that you should have at least six people that you can call if you need to talk. That way, if one person is busy, you have other friends or family members who will support you.

I thought about how true this is. Many people are feeling isolated due to social media. I made a few phone calls to close friends. I had a long, laughter filled conversation with a woman I did 42nd Street in Europe with; it was so good to catch up with her. She told me that she had been thinking about me all week. Those connections are so important to our mental health. We need to communicate with people who are on our same wavelength.  It's healing for our hearts and souls.


I left a message for another old friend from the same show. We usually talk now and then on Sunday afternoons. I always look forward to our conversations. Just hearing his voice puts a smile on my face. Close friends are treasures. I met both of these dancers almost thirty years ago. They are both so kind and compassionate.

I spent a lot of time today finishing up my blue Carbeth sweater. I completed the ribbing on the turtleneck and bound off loosely. I weaved in some of the ends, and grafted together the stitches underneath one of the arms. I will do the rest of it tomorrow. Working through the final touches on a hand knit sweater always takes me twice as long as I think it will.

 It's really a gorgeous design; I'm so excited to wear it. It looks completely different than anything else I own, because of the Icelandic wool. I absolutely love the vibrant blue color!


Here are some more photos from my trip to Ojai. I went back up the next day and attended a fabulous knitting group. I signed up for a sweater class that uses an interesting method of shaping the shoulders with German short rows. I bought the yarn and got started on the back. With this cold weather we've been having I have been getting daily use out of my hand knit sweaters. I rarely buy yarn, but this time I made an exception. I am so excited about taking a class again. I have always loved being a student. I get such a charge from the joy of learning.  I felt very comfortable with this group of knitters. Most of them live in Ojai or Santa Barbara. They are artistic, trained, and talented.  The vibe of that area really pulls me... like a magnet.


I also signed up for a writing course with Rhonda Hetzel. I took her blogging course on Skype and really enjoyed it. I did the homework today and emailed her  my questions and writing sample. Phew! There is a lot to look forward to with these classes and teachers.  How are you doing? 

20 comments:

  1. we do need people.. sometimes its difficult and people move on.
    i am so enjoying see all your photos from Ojaj!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angela, Yes, that's true. It makes me treasure my close friends even more...I am writing valentines today.

      Delete
  2. I have been enjoying seeing your photos from your trip to Ojai. I've never been up there. Your new knitting class sounds like fun! The local library has a knitting group that meets weekly and I attended a few times, but, I was the only non-Spanish speaker there and it was hard to find the level of interaction I was hoping to find, so I stopped attending them.

    Yes, having close friends (or family members) one can call to chat with is important. I'm glad you were able to call a couple of your friends and connect with them.

    I'm looking forward to seeing your sweater when you are done with it. Hope you have a lovely week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bless, I had to try a few groups to find the right one, too. Your blog inspired me to call friends and family to chat. It really is comforting. I think you would love Ojai!

      Delete
  3. have enjoyed reading about your trip to Ojai, what a lovely little town, loved the little cottage in previous post too, though not sure what is a gingerbread front? i think that's what you called it, on the verandah.
    a new knitting class sounds like fun
    glad that you found somewhere to take Lulu as well
    great post
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Selina, Gingerbread houses have a certain detail on the porch. I can see it in the corners. Ojai is a lovely town. I can't wait to return.

      Delete
  4. Hmmm. Outside of my husband and my kids, I'd have to really think about who I would call. As a counsellor, there is always pressure to "keep it together" and reaching out isn't all that easy. But you've given me something to think about.

    Still super cold here with weather warnings updated hourly. Day 10 .... Spring is soon, right??

    X Chy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chy, It sounds very cold there! I do find it really helpful to bounce ideas off of my friends. I don't have a husband or kids, so I like to connect with old friends, neighbors, and knitters. There is something about the human voice and interaction that is so important. I can see how it would be a challenge in your situation.

      Delete
  5. I love learning new things. Tony and I vowed to learn one new thing together each year. We have done so many workshops together and it has been great fun. I am loving the photos of your trip. Such a beautiful area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cherie. It is a charming little town. I keep wanting to go back there. I love how you are always learning and creating. You make the prettiest things...

      Delete
  6. That's great you signed up for Rhonda's course! I love seeing your photos and the nice weather, the trees with leaves on...etc! I like the old Girl Scout saying "Make new friends, but keep the old, one is silver and the other gold". We used to sing that at our meetings. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that song, too, Andrea. The sun is back out again. We are spoiled with the weather in California.

      Delete
  7. Friends are the best, seriously I am not sure where I would be without them. You are so smart to keep up with all the friends you can. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Friends are very important. I'm lucky to have a good mix of people I can call and chat with. I love the photos. You're knitting seems to be going great guns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tania. Yes, I just blocked Carbeth. I will take photos of it tomorrow. It feels amazing. I wore it on my bike ride this morning. I'm happy to hear that you have friends that you can call. It's good therapy.

      Delete
  9. Hi Mereknits, Yes, close, intimate friendships are priceless. I make the effort to accept invitations and spend time with the people that I love. They make life sweeter and more enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am looking forward to seeing your Carbeth. Connecting with friends is very important. While I don't have 6 friends I could call on, I do have a couple and it is a great feeling. And when they call on me in times of need it is a good feeling to help out in any way I can. Lace shawl is finished; I think a hat is next. I need something mindless and in the round. How exciting about being in Rhonda's class. I love her books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, Oprah says that you are lucky if you have one true friend. I agree, it is a wonderful feeling and a gift. I can't wait to see your lace shawl! Hats are fun and quick.

      Delete
  11. Loyal friends are priceless. Just yesterday I talked to one of my best friends on the phone. Most of my old friends live thousands of miles away, but they are also just a phone call away.
    I feel I'm very lucky to have a bunch of very close friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful, Nil. I had a friend from almost forty years ago call me today. We laughed and talked for a long time. I agree, you are very fortunate. I am not surprised, though. You seem to be such a loyal friend yourself.

      Delete