Sunday, February 17, 2019

Another Article!



Yesterday I heard from my editor at Dance Magazine, and she agreed to use a pitch that I had just sent to her. This article will be about dancers, and common mistakes that they make with their money. I have been talking with some  of my show business friends on the phone about their past and current financial situations, and it has been fascinating.


They all have enthusiastic advice for the young dancers. I was surprised how many opened up to me about things like a spouse who spent all of their savings, or how an unexpected illness or injury set them back financially.  In my own life, I got involved in two separate situations where I was pulling far more than my own weight, financially. Instead of saving money, I was paying my partner's share of the bills.Thankfully, I realized that I couldn't afford to continue this behavior, so I ended both relationships. It could have turned out much worse if we had been married.

My editor is having me consult one of the experts from Career Transitions For Dancers for this piece. I received a $2000.00 grant from them when I was in my thirties. I used that money to obtain my yoga certification. I also attended their free career counseling and computer classes. I was so afraid of computers at that time! Now I love them.

One thing that makes me feel good is to look back at the goals that I set when talking with their career counselor, Eleanor. At that time I wanted to teach dance and yoga, and  to become a writer. That's exactly what I ended up doing. I remember getting upset in their writing class, because I brought in my homework, (which I had spent hours on,)  and some of the other women in the group criticized it.  I shot back  that I didn't think that they should be pointing out the flaws in my work, since they hadn't even completed the assignment. They were shocked. I remember the conflict so well. It was hard for me to confront them at that time, but I'm glad so that I did. Sometimes you have to stand up for yourself.   

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.

14 comments:

  1. You have such a lot of good sound advice to offer young dancers. It's great that you have a platform to share it from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cherie. I love writing for Dance Magazine. I have been reading it since I was nine years old. They had stacks of them at our dance studio when I was a young student.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on the new article Stephenie.
    I enjoy reading about finance/investing etc., and look forward to reading yours when it is available. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nil. I enjoy reading about personal finance, too. It fascinates me to hear people's stories about money.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on the assignment. It is wonderful that you are writing for a magazine that has been so inspirational to your life. Will you be able to provide a link to the final article so we can read it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, Thank you. Yes, I an thrilled. I will post a link here to the article once it is published. It will probably be at the end of March.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on the new article! I, too, look forward to reading it, when available. I am sure you will have some very good advice about personal finances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bless. Some things I have learned the hard way. Your focus shifts as you get older.

      Delete
  5. I'm pleased you've found a way ofvoadding on your knowledge and advice to those entering the profession.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tania. A lot of studio owners and older dancers read the magazine, too. It's a great way of reaching a wide audience.

      Delete
  6. You were smart to be flexible enough to have your second career of teaching yoga and writing. I will enjoy your article when you have it finished. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Andrea. I always taught dance and yoga on the side, so it was a natural transition. The writing was something I always wanted to do, since I am an avid reader.

      Delete
  7. I am so happy you can share your own experiences and hopefully others will make better choices with the information you can give them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Mereknits. Finances are a challenge for artists. I still have my old journals, and remember those days...

    ReplyDelete