Sunday, February 3, 2019

Knitting a Pair of Cashmere Gloves With Recycled Yarn


my swatch

Last Christmas I bought  a few skeins of  "reclaimed  cashmere" yarn from our local yarn shop before they became an online only store. My brother had given me a gift certificate for Christmas, and I was excited to find this yarn at an excellent price. Christian, the owner, told me that the woman he bought it from overdyes the recycled skeins. I loved the quality, feel, and price. (especially since it was on sale.)

I always write out my patterns by hand

I decided to use one of my favorite patterns from Ravelry.  It's called "Dancing At Lugnasa Gloves," and it's  free.  I dug out my size 2 dpn's from my set of Knitter's Pride sock needles. I swatched for the pattern on a size 2 set of needles, and was spot on with gauge. Whew! I love it when it's that easy. The fit of these gloves is perfect. You can lengthen or shorten the fingers so that they fit you exactly. They are so much more comfortable than gloves from the store.  I used Alpaca Sox sock yarn for my last pair. They have held up beautifully. I think the nylon helps to make them more durable.

I made the green ones several years ago. They are listed in my Etsy shop.I wear them every day to ride my bike  in the winter. I have been meaning to make another pair for years. They are more work than socks, so I have been procrastinating. Still, they are so useful; I have always wanted a pair of hand knit, simple, plain, grey gloves. Working with cashmere is divine. It's so elegant.

my knitting sidekick, Lula

I met with a friend this afternoon.  She was crocheting a baby blanket for charity, and I wasworking on the cuff of my glove. We sat and chatted  for a couple of hours. I came home and had a fourth cup of cafe au lait, (Terrible, I know!) It's a good thing I don't drink. I'd probably be an alcoholic. It runs in my family, on both sides. It's very hard for me to reduce my coffee intake. Something about this rainy weather makes me want to knit for several hours a day, listen to podcasts, and drink mugs and mugs of vanilla nut coffee with goat's milk. It sure tastes delicious.  

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.

12 comments:

  1. The gloves sound like they will be beautiful. You were lucky to find cashmere on sale. I am looking forward to seeing your progress. I think you are getting more rain than we are down here. Stay safe and warm and enjoy that coffee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, Yes, the reclaimed cashmere is excellent, and the price was terrific. It was on close-out. We have had so much rain! The sun is out now, so I plan to take Lula for a bike ride. I loved your shawl, by the way...

      Delete
  2. Oh Lula looks adorable. Cashmere sounds so extravagant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tania. She's so funny. Cashmere lasts for decades. I hope it wears as well with gloves as the sock yarn.

      Delete
  3. Your day sounds nice and productive! I love coffee...I can only drink one cup and it has to be before noon or else I don't sleep well at night. A shame because it is my candy substitute (and saves me from grabbing candy!). Your cashmere looks soft...it is quite a uniquely luxurious fiber. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Andrea, I admire you for only drinking one cup of coffee a day. I use it as a dessert substitute, too. The cashmere is very soft. I love knitting with it. It's such a rare treat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to see that the rains didn't cause any damage (other than that small leak - glad you didn't need to get a new roof, either!). Looking forward to seeing a photo of your gloves when you are done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless. These will probably take a while, but the sweater is nearly finished.

      Delete
  6. I bet the cashmere is a joy to knit with. So soft and cosy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherie, Yes, it is. I think it will be divine to wear, too.

      Delete