Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Got My Taxes Done



Yesterday I had my taxes done at our local senior center. VITA provides volunteer tax accountants who will do your return free of charge. To qualify, you need to  make under a certain amount of money. I had a wonderful woman who was very helpful. She carefully went through all of my expenses with me, and gave me some excellent advice. She reminded me of  a teacher. I so appreciated her kindness and caring. She was so detailed and exact.

From there I drove over to Mail America and faxed my proof of income to Covered California. They had sent me a letter saying that they needed a copy of my tax return in order for me to keep my health insurance. It felt so satisfying to get those things done. I will be receiving almost $4,800. back from my health insurance payments. That money will go directly into savings and retirement. It's such a relief to have a financial cushion.

I had an Etsy order yesterday for some heart soaps, so I sent those off at the post office. I made another batch today. I took my time, and enjoyed stirring the soap batter. I scented it with Cranberry Chutney fragrance from Brambleberry. It smells heavenly!

I've got to do my physical therapy exercises and yoga now. I haven't done my push ups in ages, and I meant to be doing them every day. My dad is 88, and he does thirty push ups each day! I hope I'll be able to do them at that age, if I live that long. How are you?

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.

10 comments:

  1. It's good to hear that you got your tax return done free of charge. We also have VITA tax site at our college.
    My tax return is very simple, so I do it by myself. I'm also qualified for free filing via IRS.

    Your dad is amazing. I'm embarrassed to say that at almost half his age, I'm too lazy to do yoga once a week. I must think of your dad the next time I feel lazy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nil, I didn't realize the IRS offered free filing. That's great that you do it yourself. Yes, my dad has always had incredible strength and self discipline. I don't think you're lazy, just not particularly physical. He was very athletic as a child and teen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband lodges our tax returns online here in Australia. Ours are usually very straightforward so it's easy. We are looking forward to a refund this year! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meg, I'm impressed that your husband does them himself. Mine look pretty easy, too. The online programs are really helpful. Enjoy your refund!

      Delete
  4. Your dad puts me to shame. I really need to get my hip sorted and then all being well I can get my life back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherie, My hips really limited the exercise I was able to do before surgery, too. I know you will be very active again once you have healed. It's such a relief to have the arthritis removed.

      Delete
  5. We completed our taxes over last weekend. We use TurboTax and now that we are living the simple debt-free/no itemized deductions life, the taxes were a breeze. I pushed Steve to finish and file fast just in case the government shuts down again. We are getting a small refund from California and a couple thousand from the feds. A small adjustment in withholding was needed to reduce that federal overpayment. Your dad sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, I've heard positive things about TurboTax. Congratulations on getting your taxes done early, and doing them yourself! I'm impressed.

      Delete
  6. Your dad sounds amazing! An example to us all! I have not kept up my goal of walking for 30 minutes a day; really need to get back to doing that.

    I'm glad you got your taxes done. I pay to get mine done and have an appointment coming up. Need to get my papers together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bless, He is very bright and positive. It's such a good feeling to get your taxes done. Good luck with the walking. It really does do wonders on many levels...

      Delete